Custom Template LINK?

Questions and answers about ShopSite Custom Templates

Custom Template LINK?

Postby jefferis » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:19 pm

We have installed shopsite on our server (Pair.com) using their account control system. This site says you can upload your custom templates but in creating the store, it only gives the option of selecting default templates, and I don't see any link in the admin to allow this change.

Couldn't find anything in the knowledgebase
jefferis

Re: Custom Template LINK?

Postby Jim » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:45 pm

Uploading of templates is done under Merchandising > Custom Templates. Once you have uploaded a template it will display in the list of templates that are available for that type of template. I.E. if you upload a Page template then when you are creating/editing a page that template will be in the list of possible template to choose from.

Note that when you select a Theme under Preferences > Themes that will change all pages, products, search, shopping cart etc templates to the one that go with that particular theme. If you create your own templates they will not be associated with a particular theme. Custom templates may not work with ShopSite themes unless they are created using the theme template as the starting point so that all the required css, javascript, include files etc are used with the template.

Only Pro and Manager level stores have the ability to upload and edit custom templates. Starter and Express stores don't include that functionality.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby jefferis » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:28 pm

thanks for the help. I finally found that link but not where I expected it :-)
I was a bit confused by your answer as a first time shopsite user, so I am asking for clarification.
What I want to do ( I created a basic layout design in Dreamweaver, with css ) is just provide a look and feel for the whole store (header, footer, color scheme). I picked a theme from the setup that is on the right track, but not exactly what I want. When you say that this might not work with the current store's functionality, and I might start with the current theme as a basis instead and modify it with css ... where would I go to select that theme (ftp or in the admin?) and modify it to match my design?

I appreciate the help.

Jeff
jefferis

Postby Jim » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm

You will probably want to checkout the designer resources on our main website http://www.shopsite.com/designer_tools.html.
The template language used by ShopSite use tags like [-- PAGE.name --] or [-- PRODUCT.Price --] to pull data from the database and put it on the store pages. There are tutorials on the above page that show you how to use the template tags.

Ask questions if you have specific issues when creating the templates.
Jim
Site Admin

Return to Custom Template Questions