Update via database not working

Questions and answers about ShopSite Custom Templates

Update via database not working

Postby joediffdez » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:28 pm

I am trying to update some products via the database function using the excel spreadsheet, once I upload the spreadsheet to the shopsite's database the new products won't appear on it's proper page. At one point it was saying that the page didn't exist even though I made sure that I typed it exactly as it should be. Then at another point, everything uploaded correctly, the product was even assigned corectly to the page, it just would NOT appear on the page for whatever reason, I would change the page it should be assigned to via the spreadsheet and it would appear on the newly assigned page. :x :x :x

url for site is www.thebestebooksonline.com/store although I don't know if having the url will help
www.differentdezine.com
joediffdez

Re: Update via database not working

Postby Jim » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:59 am

After an upload you must publish the store (utilites > publish > regenerate) before the products will appear on the store pages. There is also a possibility that your browser may have a page cached so you must force a refresh of the page in order to see changes.

As far as the upload goes, the names in the upload file must match _exactly_ before it will work. If you are missing a space or have an extra space in between words in the upload file a match won't be found. We would need to see the upload file you were using and the data from the store to see where the problem might occur. Those type of files would be too big to post on the forum but if you could extract just the row of data (with the column headers) where the upload fails and tell us the page in your store where it should go we might be able to see where the problem is.
Jim
Site Admin

Re: Update via database not working

Postby joediffdez » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:23 am

Ok, I think I've figured out what it is. The two pages that were giving me problems had commas in the name. (Body, Mind, and Spirit — Health, Diet, and Fitness). When I would upload the upload details showed and error of The page ""Health, Diet, and Fitness"" does not exist...s/thing to that effect but it would have the quotes twice. Removing the commas from the page name stopped this from happening. I don't know why but it worked. I will continue uploading products today and hope that I won't hit any more snags.
www.differentdezine.com
joediffdez

Return to Custom Template Questions