ShopSite's search function is not working

General ShopSite user discussion

ShopSite's search function is not working

Postby wat98sw » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:46 pm

I have set up a few pages that have the search function (search box) enabled.

I have added a few products to one of the pages that have search function enabled.

I publish the pages, try the search and SS cannot find anything. I see this problem was asked in 2008 but have not seen much since. Does anyone else have this problem? THX.

-------------------------------------- new idea

How do I remove the search box from the shopping cart?
wat98sw

Re: ShopSite's search function is not working

Postby ShopSite David » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:49 am

Looks like you followed up with this question in another post. Here's the response from that post:

"It often helps to be able to see the problem as you are seeing it. What is the url to your store?

How are you using search? ShopSite search indexes words in product information, it does not index text on pages. What fields do you have enabled for searching? Preferences > Search Settings > Search Indexing."
-David H.
ShopSite, Inc.
http://www.shopsite.com
ShopSite David
Site Admin

Update: ShopSite's search function is not working

Postby wat98sw » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:56 am

What fields do you have enabled for searching? Preferences > Search Settings > Search Indexing."

Thank you for the reply.

- Using the Floating Page theme
- Under Preferences > Search Settings > Search Indexing all boxes above the Google items are checked
- I have even placed the SKU of one product in the search keywords under product information and it cannot find it

- update
I did get it to recognize a product name and find it but only if it is put into the search box exactly. It does not recognize a part of the product name. For example, if a product name is meatsauce it will not find it if the search terms are meat or sauce.

UPSHOT: I would really prefer to disable the search box in the theme. Can I do this? I can then use Google Custom Search everywhere including on my Order Anywhere pages since Google searches texts on all pages. It is not as targeted as the Product Search box but since I cannot get this to work I would like to give up on it.

I do not want to end up with two search boxes in the shopping cart as that is confusing especially as the product search box does not find anything.

Thank you
wat98sw

Return to User Forum