Shopping Cart Not Working in Internet Explorer

General ShopSite user discussion

Shopping Cart Not Working in Internet Explorer

Postby Devon » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:45 pm

I've used ShopSite for over 6 years. Last spring I upgraded our store to be responsive, now using a version of one of the BB themes (don't remember which one). I'm on ShopSite Pro 12 sp1 r4.0.1. I use the OrderAnywhere option throughout our website.

A customer just called to tell me he can't add more than one item to his shopping cart using Internet Explorer. I tested it on my machine using Internet Explorer 11, and he's right.

Check it out using IE. Our website is www.markupandprofit.com. Add two simple products -
http://www.markupandprofit.com/cgi-markupandprofit/sb/order.cgi?storeid=*22a72b9a6821a804bba8e0142a27955c4e38f1&dbname=products&sku=FTE&function=add
then
http://www.markupandprofit.com/cgi-markupandprofit/sb/order.cgi?storeid=*22a72b9a6821a804bba8e0142a27955c4e38f1&dbname=products&sku=EMPCD&function=add.

It will add the first product. When you add the second, it says "2 items" in the top right corner, but only one product appears. If you go to Continue Shopping, it will take you back to our website where you can see the shopping cart has 2 items with a correct total. Come back to the shopping cart, still can only see one. Click on the 2 Items in the top right corner, and the shopping cart is now empty (but it still says "2 Items").

Someone please tell me how to fix this.
Devon

Re: Shopping Cart Not Working in Internet Explorer

Postby Jim » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:57 pm

Try unchecking the Utilities > Publish > Insert an html comment before each include file checkbox Then publish the store and see if that fixes the problem.

The comments added for the include files can sometimes break other code so the option should only be used when testing template problems and should always be unchecked when the store is live.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Devon » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:05 pm

It was already unchecked.
Devon

Postby loren_d_c » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:18 pm

It appears to be some kind of caching issue that is only affecting the IE and Edge. I would recommend contacting your hosting company to see if there is a server setting or something that can be adjusted so that the requests can reach the ShopSite cgi's instead of just showing cached data.

-Loren
loren_d_c

Postby Devon » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:20 pm

My host is Lexiconn, I'd think they would be up to speed on ShopSite settings, but I'll send them a note and ask them to check into it.
Devon

Postby Devon » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:34 am

Problem solved. Our main website is built in Drupal, Drupal core has an htaccess that caches files if mod_expires is enabled. There is an exception in the code for php scripts; Lexiconn added an exception for cgi. I don't understand why this would be an issue with IE and not other browsers, but it was and it works now.

BTW, we've had a website/store for over 15 years (Miva converts) and have been with at least 3-4 other hosts, none of them as helpful or solid as Lexiconn. Thank you, Lexiconn, for fixing this. And thank you, ShopSite for identifying where the problem was.
Devon

Return to User Forum