2 Questions about Product Database upload?

General ShopSite user discussion

2 Questions about Product Database upload?

Postby jefferis » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:21 pm

Hi, I have a product database to upload to a new site. I have 2 questions before I proceed.
1. The client's old host/db used NULL in empty fields. Should this be removed before uploading for empty fields like weight / size, etc?
2. The client has extra up to 5 images. I don't see product image 1, 2, 3 etc. I see Graphic and More product image info 1, 2, etc.

What are the proper field names to upload links to product images, and the format if different than /root/folder name...?

3. Can I manually upload these images using ftp to the right folder and they will work in the db just fine or do you have to upload them using the admin? (Which would be very hard because of the number of images...)

TIA
jefferis

Re: 2 Questions about Product Database upload?

Postby Jim » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:56 pm

The easiest way to find out what default values and field name are is to create a single product/page in ShopSite (or select just one if you already have some entered) and then download that product/page in the tab delimited format. Then edit the file in a spreadsheet to see what the field names are and what the content should be like. See also http://shopsite.com/help/12.2/en-US/sc/pro/upload.fields.html
Answers to your questions below
1. Generally they should just be empty.
2. There is only one product image. There are up to 20 moreinfo images. So you would assign one of the upload columns as the product image and the rest as moreinfo image.
3. Yes you can ftp the images to the server. You need to make sure after you upload them that they have the proper permission and ownership like an image uploaded from the backoffice of ShopSite. All images must be in the store's "media' directory or subdirectories of that directory. See Preferences > Hosting Services > Media Directory at the bottom of the screen for the path.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby jefferis » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:00 pm

I was told by tech support before we went with shop site that we could have multiple product images... is this incorrect?
BTW, I did download the default store products..
jefferis

Postby Jim » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:16 pm

The multiple images are the moreinfo extra images so you essentially get 21 images for each product. In addition to those images if your have Advanced product options you can have another image for each option.
Jim
Site Admin

Return to User Forum