Header too large on SC Page

General ShopSite user discussion

Header too large on SC Page

Postby MgmtSpec » Tue May 31, 2016 6:34 pm

Hello,

I want a responsive checkout so I choose the ResponsiveDesign-Cart for my SC. This really works poorly on my site. On desktop and mobile the 5 line address and phone from the FOOTER is pushed up to header - so it displays - LOGO - then normal right side text UNDER logo - then 5 lines of contact info - then MENU - then top cart TEXT - FINALLY cart info BELOW the fold. Even worse on mobile having to scroll to see contents. Tried the Bootstrap and inexplicably got a double/repeat of Top Cart Text and again cart info out of site. I don't really want to have to manually test all SC templates on both desktop and mobile to fine one that WORKS proper. Should not have to build a custom cart. Anyone have suggestions of what built-in SC template WORKS for mobile and desktop? To see the mess layout go to http://www.oldtymefudgeandicecream.com/ and add anything to the cart.

Thanks for your help/advice.
MgmtSpec

Re: Header too large on SC Page

Postby ShopSite David » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:23 am

I saw the problem yesterday on your site. I see that you have changed themes and no longer have that issue. Was there anything else you needed to modify to not have your footer show under the header when the screen went small?
-David H.
ShopSite, Inc.
http://www.shopsite.com
ShopSite David
Site Admin

Postby ShopSite Lauren » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:01 pm

It looks like on your store pages you are using the Composer theme, which displays the text A field in the footer. Then in your cart you are using the Response theme which displays the text A in the header. I would suggest that all your store pages use the same theme. Both the "Response" theme and the "Composer" theme are responsive.
- ShopSite Lauren
Contact me for help with any of your
custom ShopSite template questions.
ShopSite Lauren

Postby MgmtSpec » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:33 pm

Hi,

Thanks for looking at it!
Under my SC Layout options there is no "composer" theme so i can't use.
Also did you check the layout on Mobile? At least on iPhone6S the layout is really bad.
Might be helpful if there was a cheat sheet for what SC themes are responsive.
Guess I will need to do some trial and error to see what works well.
MgmtSpec

Postby MgmtSpec » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:13 pm

FYI - I tested ALL the SC templates and not a single one laid out well on both desktop and mobile. Full Cart, Mobile, Mobile2 and Responsive were the closest to working proper. Stuck with Responsive - removed Text A & B since in the cart these lay out poorly. Reduced some font sizes. When you hit the cart page on desktop the "Checkout" button should be above the fold. On mobile there should be an automatic toggle to mini logo or text logo. Right now it has full size - pushing cart contents way too far down.
I love shopsite however there is some serious design work needed if the default templates are going to compete - especially in mobile space. When I hand code sites I put in toggle to hide on mobile. Would be so nice if SS added these. I think I've posted that in feature request before also.
MgmtSpec

Postby ShopSite David » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:09 pm

When you try a Theme be sure you are choosing it from Preferences>Themes and not just choosing different templates from Commerce > Order System> Layout. A Theme is a group of Templates that are designed to work together. While you can choose individual templates for the cart, product, pages, etc mixing and matching can have some unintended results. You will also find that the newer themes -- those at the top of the Theme list (aside from the current theme) -- follow newer design standards. So, for example, try Habits, Sector, Delicate, or Familiar themes. We'd love to (in our view) improve older themes but merchants often do not like us to change the way their current layout functions. They are used to it or have someway designed to the way it presently works.

As far as the logo goes, be sure you have uploaded it via Preferences > Layout Settings, and not coded it into the header field. Logos added via Layout Settings are used in newer Themes and are dynamically re-sized based upon the shopper's screen.
-David H.
ShopSite, Inc.
http://www.shopsite.com
ShopSite David
Site Admin

Return to User Forum