Review - captcha contains advertisements?

General ShopSite user discussion

Review - captcha contains advertisements?

Postby FredW » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:45 am

Hi Folks,

I just noticed that when one tries to enter a product review, the captcha section of the review form contains an advertisement. I don't remember this being the case when I set it up and wonder if you can confirm this is something ShopSite is aware of and supports? It looks like it is the SolveMedia captcha that must have been set by default, for I don't recall having an option when we set it up.

Does this bother anybody else but me?

Fred
FredW

Re: Review - captcha contains advertisements?

Postby FredW » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:57 am

Just noticed that the SolveMedia option that is shown as an option of captcha in the ShopSite help pages does not show as an advertisement, but just a phrase.

My testing shows this type of phrase is displayed in IE, but in Chrome and Firefox, it looks like, smells like, and feels like a real advertisement. You can see a snip here: https://keithspecialty.com/f-pics/solve-media-ad.png

Frankly, I was surprised to see ShopSite use this type of feature. I consider this approaches malware.
FredW

Postby ShopSite David » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:29 am

You have the option to configure anyone of 3 different CAPTCHAs. In Merchandising > Product Reviews > Configure, in the section where you turn on/off the requirement to configure a CAPTCHA you can select a different one than the Solvemedia one. There are two options for Google CAPTCHAs.
-David H.
ShopSite, Inc.
http://www.shopsite.com
ShopSite David
Site Admin

Postby FredW » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:30 am

David, thanks for the reply. I did notice that one could choose three types of captcha options on the review configuration page. I figured I would turn the feature off for a while to stop the advertising and see if that make our users' life easier without spammers creating a hassle for us.

Am I the only person to find it ironic that a captcha is to stop spammers and that ShopSite allows the option of a SolveMedia captcha that actually puts advertising on your website without your knowledge?

Frankly, I'm disappointed that ShopSite allows this.
FredW

Return to User Forum