Country For Credit Card processing but NOT shipping

General ShopSite user discussion

Country For Credit Card processing but NOT shipping

Postby Swine » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:18 am

We have what might be a rather unique problem. We sell magazine subscriptions and products.

While we sell subscriptions to residents in Canada, we do NOT sell products. When we originally set up our store on ShopSite the only way to keep people from ordering products to Canada was to allow ONLY USA as a country for selection. When ordering a Canadian subscription the country would say USA, but we would change that when we processed the order. This actually worked surprisingly well for years.

Now we are getting more and more Canadians trying to buy subscriptions but their credit cards are being rejected because they don't list the correct country.

So, my question is this: Is there a way to allow Canada to be selected as a country for some products but not others? Or is there a solution to this I'm not seeing?
Eric
Swine

Re: Country For Credit Card processing but NOT shipping

Postby loren_d_c » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:19 am

There is no feature to restrict Country options by product, but you could probably implement custom JavaScript to check the product contents of the cart and remove the Canada option if certain products are present. I don't know that I've seen this particular scenario before, but here is a related example of JavaScript used to remove payment options based on certain cart scenarios, maybe it would be a place to start for you or your custom JavaScript programmer:

http://support.lexiconn.com/news/forums/topic/hiding-payment-options-in-the-shopsite-cart/

-Loren
loren_d_c

Postby Swine » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks for the reply, Loren. Just to clarify, you're suggesting a JavaScript could be written that would remove excluded products from the shopping cart if the customer listed Canada in their address?

And if that's the case, do you have any idea what would happen if the customer had JavaScript disabled on their device?
Eric
Swine

Postby loren_d_c » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:23 pm

I don't know about removing products, I was suggesting removing Canada from the Country list if certain products were in the cart, but if the other way works better for you, you could try that. If shoppers have JavaScript disabled then obviously it wouldn't work. But then neither would the majority of the internet, so the percentage of shoppers that would actually have JavaScript disabled is going to be very very low.

-Loren
loren_d_c

Return to User Forum