Issue with Paypal Express

General ShopSite user discussion

Issue with Paypal Express

Postby kiltym » Thu May 24, 2018 10:09 am

All of a sudden when someone tries to checkout with Paypal Express on our Shopsite cart we are getting the following:

500 Server Error
A misconfiguration on the server caused a hiccup. Check the server logs, fix the problem, then try again. URL: http://www.-.com/store/sc/order.cgi

We did not change anything, but maybe the hosting company did (bluehost).

If we select a credit card, it works fine.

I know it was working on Monday. We just now got a complaint about trying to pay and not being able to.

Where do I need to look to find out what is going on?

Thank you!

ShopSite® Manager 12 sp2
kiltym

Re: Issue with Paypal Express

Postby kiltym » Thu May 24, 2018 10:41 am

Also, another piece of info. Perhaps unrelated.

About 8 weeks ago Bluehost moved us to a different server. Our dir path changed at that point from /home8/ to /home1/.

I notice in our .aa file in /ss there are references to this. I changed these.

I also notice in our paypalexp.aa (/data) there are references also. Should I change these?

And where else might I need to make this change?
kiltym

Postby kiltym » Thu May 24, 2018 11:15 am

I took a chance and updated the /home8 to the correct /home1 in the paypalexp.aa file.

It seems to be working now. Not sure how it ever worked, but whatever....
kiltym

Postby loren_d_c » Thu May 24, 2018 11:42 am

Sounds like you may be using the 'API Certificate' method of authentication with PayPal. The paths in the paypalexp.aa are to the location of the saved cert files, so yes if your server paths change, then these will need to be updated.

This is another reason I prefer the API Signature method instead of the API Certificate (other reasons are that the certificate is a big bulky thing that can get copied over incorrectly, and the API Certificates will expire after 3 years and all of a sudden it won't work and you won't know why if you missed the email from PayPal telling you your API cert is about to expire).

A PayPal account can only have a API Certificate OR an API Signature, not both. If you currently have an API Certificate, then you will have to delete that in your PayPal account before you can generate the API Signature. Really, the only reason not to switch as far as I know is if you have some other application using the same PayPal account that can only use the API Certificate method.

-Loren
loren_d_c

Postby kiltym » Fri May 25, 2018 8:23 am

Thank you for the response.

Just to clarify however, we are NOT using API Cert Auth.

We have been using API Digital Sig Auth for 2+ years, and it did not change in the last week when the problem arose.

All I can say is now Paypal is working, and before I made the path changes it was not (but it was a week ago, all very strange). But I did not change the Auth method from Digital Sig.

Maybe Paypal changed something?
kiltym

Return to User Forum