Migrating Shopsite Database

General ShopSite user discussion

Migrating Shopsite Database

Postby Rgkopchak » Mon May 06, 2019 10:50 am

I am moving web-hosts, and it looks like my version of Shopsite is working perfectly after the hosting company moved all my data.

My only issue is that the database is out-of-date, since we've still been taking orders during the move. What is the easiest way for me to get the databases synced? We don't need to worry about products, those are all the same. We just need to get the order/payment data up-to-date.

Is it as simple as backing up the database on the original server, copying the backup to the new server, then "restoring"? I'm guessing that isn't a good option. Thanks for any help you can provide!
Rgkopchak

Re: Migrating Shopsite Database

Postby loren_d_c » Mon May 06, 2019 11:48 am

Assuming the store on the old server is the same as the store on the new and that you didn't make page/product changes on the new store, then you could just copy the shopsite_db and ordernum files (and maybe shopsite_reports_db and reports.aa) from old data directory and copy them into the new, and you will have all the same order data (and page, product, etc data) as on the old store.

-Loren
loren_d_c

Postby Rgkopchak » Mon May 06, 2019 11:57 am

The product is all the same, no changes, and we do not use the store. I did a test order on the server and shopsite handled it exactly as expected. (used hosts to point to the new IP on my local machine).

So just to be clear, I only need to copy (download via FTP from old server, then upload via FTP to new server) :

shopsite_db
ordernum
shopsite_reports_db
reports.aa

I just want to make sure the "new" server picks right up where the old one left off.

I guess I'll take down the "checkout" button on the cart while the files are being copied over, to make sure I don't miss any orders while the files are transferring and DNS is propagating.
Rgkopchak

Postby loren_d_c » Mon May 06, 2019 12:10 pm

If there are any iorder.[ordernumber].new files in the data/ip/ directory then you should get those too, but if you've checked orders in the old store since the last order was placed, then there shouldn't be any .new files and that order data should be contained in the shopsite_db already.

Note that the _db files are binary files, so if you are using FTP to move them make sure they are FTP'd in Binary mode, an ASCII/Text mode FTP transfer will corrupt them.

-Loren
loren_d_c

Postby Rgkopchak » Mon May 06, 2019 12:14 pm

Thanks so much Loren!
Rgkopchak

Postby Rgkopchak » Mon May 06, 2019 12:22 pm

Sorry, last clarification.... the _db files ONLY in binary, or can I do all the files in binary?
Rgkopchak

Postby loren_d_c » Mon May 06, 2019 12:29 pm

You can transfer them all in Binary mode.

-Loren
loren_d_c

Return to User Forum