Can you "copy over" a demo store to a live store?

General ShopSite user discussion

Can you "copy over" a demo store to a live store?

Postby Rgkopchak » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:27 am

I'm guessing the answer is "no", but I figured I better ask. I've been working on a complete redesign of our site the last couple of weeks, using a "demo store" to create the new settings and templates. I've had to make about 1,243 adjustments to various settings and templates along the way, and I have taken extensive notes on how to replicate the new design.

Again, just thought I'd ask, just on the off chance there was SOME way to do it (without losing all our sales/customer data). It would save me a lot of time, and probable headache, having to make the change step-by-step.

Thank you!
Rgkopchak

Re: Can you "copy over" a demo store to a live store?

Postby loren_d_c » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:53 am

There's no 'copy over' feature. But you can export your page and product data in tab-delimited or XML from the demo and upload it into your live store (first make a backup of your old database in Utilities > Database > Backup), and you can export all your customized template files from the demo in Utilities > Export Store, then you can extract the resulting zip file and either upload the files to your live store via the backoffice one by one, or upload them to the data/templates/[whateverkind of template file they are]/ directory on your site via FTP. This basically leaves you with the global settings in Preferences > Layout Settings and the shopping cart layout settings in Commerce > Order System > Layout to manually duplicate in your live store (and maybe other odds and ends depending on what features your use in your store that have their own screens, like product search layout, gift certificate layout, etc).

-Loren
loren_d_c

Re: Can you "copy over" a demo store to a live store?

Postby Rgkopchak » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:18 pm

Got it all swapped over, thanks for the advice Loren!
Rgkopchak

Return to User Forum