Add to cart button not working

General ShopSite user discussion

Add to cart button not working

Postby Ivan Santos » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:51 am

Hello and happy new year.
Few weeks ago we changed the templates on our shop site, since then a lot of customers are complaining becasue when they click on the add to cart button the page doesn't do anything, it stays frozen without adding anything to the cart,
and therefore it's impossible for them to place any order. For a while we thought that deleting the browser's history was the solution, but today another customer came saying that he had deleted it and the issue was still there.
For those interested on the it, the template's name is tmpl_page
Any suggestions? :roll:
Thank you very much
Ivan Santos

Re: Add to cart button not working

Postby Jim » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:57 am

Without seeing the template or a page it would be impossible to tell what the problem is. Post a link to a page /product where the add to cart isn't working so we can see what is going on.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Ivan Santos » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:02 pm

Here is a link to one of the pages with the issue. Note that this problem doesn't happen on all computers, for instant on my computer it works fine. What I am trying to figure out is why there are some customers whose add to cart doesn't work.

http://www.transmedfoods.com/store/olivepouches.html

Thank you!
Ivan Santos

Postby Jim » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:36 pm

I tried it from Firefox on LInux and had a co-worker check it on Windows 8 using the IE 10 browser and it work for both of us.

Is there a specific product that is having the problem?
What browser and Operating System are the shoppers who are having problems using?

I did have a long delay when adding a product to the cart and noticed that in the cart this message was displayed "UPS Shipping: UPS:: Couldn't connect to server (7) " so perhaps the shoppers are experiencing a delay such as that.

There may be network issues that are causing slow responses when the shipping carriers can't be reached. YOu might want to check with your host to see if anything is being logged in the webserver logs.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Ivan Santos » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:36 pm

Yes, I am using Chrome and after deleting its history the issue was solved. But so far no customer has told us what browser they are using
when they can't place the orders.
I feel that it always takes a long time for the page to add the product to the cart, I have no idea why. The old templates were much faster...
Ivan Santos

Postby Jim » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:03 pm

The add to cart buttons are simply links to the shopping cart with product info in them see below. So this should not take much time at all and wouldn't slow down the cart.
Code: Select all
<a href="http://www.transmedfoods.com/store/sc/order.cgi?storeid=*2aebafe8d7879e73132fcb8307a8257fb1b42d6a5f74c9&amp;dbname=products&amp;itemnum=6&amp;function=add" title="Add this item to your cart"><button class="addButton">Add to Cart</button></a>

The template for the shopping cart also should not appreciably affect the time it takes for the site to load. The cart may take a while to load because it must contact UPS for shipping rates and then it must contact FedEx for shipping rates. Since these both rely on the speed of the network connection between your store's server, the UPS and FedEx servers and the shoppers browser it can take a few seconds for each of these things to happen so it might be a delay of a second or two or possibly 10-20 seconds or more in extreme situations.. You could reduce this time somewhat by only using one of the real-time shipping options (UPS or FedEx) thus reducing the number of external calls that must be made to get shipping rates.

Another thing that can affect the load time is how many other users (store or just websites) are hosted on the server where your store is hosted. Some host have thousands of accounts on a single server so the amount of processing time allotted to any particular process is very small.

Another thing that can cause problems is if the server is using nfs mounted drives (or cloud) and the configuration is not setup correctly. Unless the exact same data for the store is being accessed at all times there can be issues. So if the server is trying to load data from different locations and it isn't in sync, failed add to cart references could occur.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Ivan Santos » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:50 pm

So, just to clarify this, there's nothing on the new template's layout that can cause this issue. I mean, it's not because there are too many graphic elements involved or anything like that, right? On the other hand, everything that you mention makes sense, the only thing is that we didn't have any trouble at all with the old templates, all the facts that you point out were already there before and the add to cart buttons worked perfectly. So, in my humble opinion, there must be someting we did when changing to new custom templates that is casing the problem.
And today a customer told us that she uses Explorer 7...
Thank you
Ivan Santos

Postby Jim » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:05 pm

It is possible it is something in the template but I didn't see anything really obvious that should cause a problem.
I notice in the source of the page you have
<link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href='https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Carme'>

So when loading the page it also has to go to that url to get the font "Carme". which could take some time if that site is busy. The style sheet would be cached the first time it loads so subsequent page loads shouldn't take any extra time.

You also have
<!--[if IE]><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="https://transmedfoods.com/ie-hacks.css" media="screen"/><![endif]-->

So that style sheet is loaded for any version of IE. I don't know what is in the ie-hacks.css file but you might check in there to see if you have something that would be causing a problem with IE 7.

You should also run the html source of the shopping cart (and store pages) through an html checker and clean up the problems pointed out. I use the checker at http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/ and use the Enter your html directly option. You have the DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML but many of the required / characters are missing at the closing >. There are also some nesting issues with at least one <div> tag.

There is also google analyis code in at least two different places, you should check to make sure that it is all necessary. If you checked the option to have ShopSite handle the code you should not add any other to the template.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Ivan Santos » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:41 pm

I will take defintely a look at what you say, thanks!
Ivan Santos

Postby Buddha » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:40 am

I know this topic hasn't been mentioned since 2013, but it is now 2016. We just changed the templates on our site and are getting feedback from customers that they are unable to "add to cart". In all situations, they can see the button but it is dead. The products vary so it isn't one specific product. We have tested and everything works fine.

We have had about 6 or 7 complaints. Most were using Chrome or Safari and it varied from desktops to tablets to laptops.

The designer and hosting company both say they are unable to recreate this. It is getting concerning. Even though we are receiving orders, if 6 or 7 call you, how many customers are not calling and just giving up?

Any updates or suggestions...anyone else having this issue?
Buddha

Postby loren_d_c » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:57 am

Do you have an example URL for a page they reported they could not order from? Perhaps there is some kind of JavaScript error on that page. Are you using ShopSite default templates, or custom templates?

-Loren
loren_d_c

Postby Buddha » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:30 am

The url's vary as the complaints have come from a variety of products. Users vary as well...PC, laptops using either Safari or Chrome and Macs using Safari.

I heard from someone else that has experienced the same problem and are moving over to a WordPress store font.

We have attempted to recreate the same issues using the same set-ups and no luck on our end.
Buddha

Postby Buddha » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:38 am

We are using custom templates.
We are not using javascript on the add to cart button – we are using shopsite add to cart template tags to add the add to cart button – no special coding.

This is weeks later and still receiving reports of this issue. Yet we are still unable to recreate the problem.

Perhaps it is time to discontinue Shopsite and move to another platform? Shopsite doesn't reply tho this issue. Sad.
Buddha

Postby loren_d_c » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:32 am

I haven't heard of it from anyone else. Perhaps you should try some different templates, there may be some incorrect HTML in some of your templates that is breaking the simple add to cart code for some browsers.

-Loren
loren_d_c

Return to User Forum