Buy Button on Search Results pages

Questions and answers about ShopSite Custom Templates

Buy Button on Search Results pages

Postby FredW » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:52 pm

This question is directed at those of who are more expert at customer templates than myself. Requesting feedback.

We currently use our own web site to determine shipping charges for customers calling in orders. I have received a request from our staff to put a Buy button on the search results page, which would save them one or two clicks to get the item in the cart. I know this would only work for those products where More Information pages are generated (for the search results shows that More Information button). Wonder if you can see any reason why I could not create a customer Search Results page to include a Buy button?

Also, do you see any possible problems with creating More information pages for all of our 9,000 products? Performance, or other issues?

Thanks in advance for you help.
Fred
FredW

Re: Buy Button on Search Results pages

Postby Jim » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:44 am

The search pages can definitely have add to cart buttons on them. You just need to use a template that includes the add to cart info and assign it as the Preferences > Search Settings > Search Page Layout > Product Template Override value and make sure you check the checkbox to use the template you specify. Note that some themes may not have a built in template that includes the add to cart so you might have to select a different one.

It is not required that you have a More Info page for the product for the search to work. The place where you might notice slowdowns with 9000 moreinfo pages is when you publish the store. It should not cause any slowdown for shoppers as the webserver is simply displaying an html page. I have seen stores with more than 9000 moreinfo pages and they worked well. Typically stores with that many products would not be on a shared server with a bunch of other stores on the same server.
Jim
Site Admin

Return to Custom Template Questions