Steps to get Cross Sell to work.

Questions and answers about ShopSite Custom Templates

Steps to get Cross Sell to work.

Postby Kapitol » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:35 pm

I need some help setting up Cross Sell in Shopsite version 10. Below are the steps I have used. Currently Cross Sell it is not working. If someone can highlight the error I made in this process that would be helpful.

Open the back office.
1. Go to pages and highlight all the pages in the left side column. Then choose Power Edit.
2. Under the right-side column labeled "Layout" scroll to find then select "Display Global Cross Sell".
3. Below the 2 columns select the radio button labeled "Global - same change to all selected pages", and select the "Proceed button".
4. Once the Power Edit page has loaded, check the checkbox for the option "Check here to display the global cross sell products (if template supports the feature)". Click Save changes.
5. Under the tab merchandising select Custom Templates then Includes.
6. Find and click "Copy ShopSite Include". Scroll through the list and select "BasicPage-CrossSellDefine.sst". Rename it "CrossX.sst". Click Save.
7. Under the tab Merchandising select Custom Templates then Page/Product.
8. Under "Product Templates" find and select the template that has your "more info page" template in it. On the right side click "edit template".
9. Find "############################# [-- DEFINE MORE_INFO_PAGE --]" inside the template and paste this before it
Code: Select all
[-- DEFINE PRODUCT_CROSS_SELL --]
[-- INCLUDE CrossX.sst PROCESS --]
[-- END_DEFINE PRODUCT_CROSS_SELL --]

10. Under the "Product" tab find a product you want to add cross sell items too. In my case "A&SB Crystals - Blue Shade Hex". hit the "Search" button.
11. Select the product on the "List of Products" page.
12. Once the "Edit Product Info" page has loaded scroll half-way down the page to "Cross Sell" and click on the "select" button.
13. Under the "Products not assigned:" list, find and click the products you want to cross sell with. Ctrl and click will select individual items in the list. I selected 3 products.
14. On the right click "Add", then review, then at the bottom of the window click the "Ok" button. Scroll to the bottom of the "Product page" and select the "Save Changes" button.
15. Under the tab "Utilities" select "Publish" and click the middle button "Regenerate".

In your browser open a new tab and go to, http://www.artandsoulbeads.com/store/ASB-Crystals-BlueShade-Hex.html
There, discover, Cross Sell, not working :D
Kapitol

Re: Steps to get Cross Sell to work.

Postby ShopSite Lauren » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:20 pm

The basic troubleshooting includes:
1- Check that you have assigned cross sell products. To assign GLOBAL/store-wide cross sell products, go to Merchandising > Cross Sell. To assign product specific cross sell products, go to Products > Edit Product Info.
2- Check that you have enabled the cross sell feature. You can enable this feature under Merchandising > Cross Sell.
3- If you are using custom templates, check that you have the cross sell template tags in your custom templates. http://www.shopsite.com/templates/cookbook/global-crosssell.shtml

Global Cross Sell on Category Pages
Steps 1-4 are for displaying your global cross sell products on your category pages. (This doesn't have anything to do with displaying product specific cross sell products on product more information pages.) If you would like to display your global cross sell products (typically the store-wide best sellers) on ALL pages, do the steps you did, assign your global cross sell products (Merchandising > Cross Sell), and add the following code to your PAGE template where you want the global cross sell products (store-wide best sellers) to appear.
[-- IF Page.GlobalCrossSell --]
  <table class="gcs_table">
      <caption>[-- STORE.GlobalCrossSellHeader --]</caption>
      [-- LOOP GLOBAL_Cross_Sell 3 --]
       <td class="gcs_table_content">[-- GLOBAL_CROSS_SELL --]</td>
       [-- END_LOOP Global_Cross_Sell --]
     </table>
[-- END_IF --]

Product Specific Cross Sell Products On More Information Pages
On Product more information pages, you have the option to display product specific cross sell products, the store-wide cross sell products, or both. First, check the checkbox to display the cross sell feature. Go to Products > highlight ALL products > PowerEdit, in the "information" left side, highlight the feature to "display product cross sell" (or something like that, I don't have the exact terminology", choose "Global" edit > Proceed > and check the checkbox. This will make it so that for ALL products, IF they have product specific cross sell products assigned, then those will be displayed on your product more information pages (if the tags are in your template).
Second, since you already added the DEFINE PRODUCT_CROSS_SELL into your product template, you will want to add the tags to place the cross sell items where you want them. Copy the code below and paste it into your custom product template, within your DEFINE MORE_INFO_PAGE section, wherever you would like the cross sell products to appear.
[-- IF Product.MoreInformationProductCrossSell --]
  [-- IF PRODUCT.CrossSell "0" --]
  [-- ELSE --]
<table class="gcs_table">
  <caption>[-- STORE.CartCrossSellHeader --]</caption>
      [-- LOOP Product_Cross_Sell 3 --]
     <td class="gcs_table_content">[-- PRODUCT_CROSS_SELL --]</td>
      [-- END_LOOP Product_Cross_Sell --]
</table>
  [-- END_IF --]
[-- END_IF --]
- ShopSite Lauren
Contact me for help with any of your
custom ShopSite template questions.
ShopSite Lauren

Postby Kapitol » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:15 pm

Thanks Lauren, it worked.
Kapitol

Postby lneibauer » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:42 pm

This worked perfectly for me too, thanks for this post. I do have one question for a newbie. How can I close the gap between the items on the cross sell for the more information page? I would like the page to look a little tighter.
lneibauer

Postby Jim » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:40 pm

You will need to edit the style sheet that affects the way various elements display. In the code that Lauren posted you will note that there is a style gcs_table_content assigned to the td around the product
 <td class="gcs_table_content">[-- GLOBAL_CROSS_SELL --]</td>

That style will either in in an include file or in the template itself. You can modify it to reduce the amount of space between the elements of the td. When you view the html source of your published page you may notice other styles around the cross-sell products that you can also modify in the css loaded by the page.
Jim
Site Admin

Return to Custom Template Questions