download of products

Questions and answers about ShopSite Custom Templates

download of products

Postby queenofangels » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:38 am

My host is currently running shopsite-pro 11.2. When I download products to a .txt file the sku numbers are being converted to scientific notation.
any way to prevent this??? :?
queenofangels

Re: download of products

Postby Jim » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:59 am

That is a setting in the application that you use to open the downloaded file. ShopSite downloads the data as it is contained in the database which would never be scientific notation.

What application are you opening the download file in? In the spreadsheet programs I have used (Quattro Pro and Open/Libre Office Calc) when you try to open a file it prompts you to map the data columns to specific type (Text, Date, Currency, etc.) and then it uses that format when it displays. Typically you can also right click on the column header and choose a format for the data in that column.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby queenofangels » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:27 am

Hi Jim,
I'm using excel 2013 to open the text file and then convert it to a 97-2003 workbook for upload.
queenofangels

Postby Jim » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:38 am

I don't have Excel to tell you how to change it. As I mentioned you should be able to change the format of the cells in a column by selecting the Column and then use the Format option on the menu to change the cells to a different format like text. I found this site that has a tutorial on doing that http://www.excel-easy.com/basics/format-cells.html .

Once you save the spreadsheet after changing the format it should be correct in your upload file. If it doesn't save properly then you might need to just select the data and copy it and then paste it into a text editor and save it from there for uploading.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby gracefuli » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:15 pm

Don't know if you found the answer already... I know exactly what you are experiencing. You need to over ride automatic formatting that is built into excel. I think it's something simple like putting a " mark before the number or column heading.
gracefuli

Return to Custom Template Questions