Need product links before page links on a page

Questions and answers about ShopSite Custom Templates

Need product links before page links on a page

Postby psldesigns » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:47 pm

Hi,

Lexiconn verified for me that the button for "Check here to have Products listed above Pages" does not work in the BB- templates. Can you please tell me how to have the product links before page links? What templates I need to change? I'm using Trace.

Thanks!
psldesigns

Re: Need product links before page links on a page

Postby psldesigns » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:13 am

I still want the ability to have this option on different pages, meaning, some pages will have products first, some will have page links first. What I did for a work around is to use a custom page field with the word FIRST and then do an if statement where if FIRST products come first ELSE Page Links are first.
psldesigns

Re: Need product links before page links on a page

Postby Jim » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:23 am

All of the custom template now have separate sections for page links and products. In the really old C code based templates it was useful to have the ability to have products listed separately from page links. That is what the setting on Pages > Edit Page Layout > Page Arrangement Settings > Products on top was used for.

With the introduction of the custom template language it was now possible to better define the layout of product sections and page link sections using the [-- Loop Products --] and [-- Loop Links --] template tags. There is however also a loop section that will out put both page and product information in one block [-- Loop Items --] This template tag does use the Page Arrangement Setting "Products on Top" and will switch the layout of links and products depending on if the box is checked or not. Using this loop items tag, however, you lose the ability to specify separate templates for the layout of products and links which you have when using the [-- loop products -- ] [-- product template --] or [-- loop links --] [-- link template --] .

You might experiment with the the [-- loop items --] block of code to see if that might meet your needs. I think your workaround may be a better way to go though since you can then use the optional 'template' for the link and product layout to format items differently on different pages.
Jim
Site Admin

Return to Custom Template Questions