automating integration of email registration

Questions and answers about ShopSite Custom Templates

automating integration of email registration

Postby gracefuli » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:41 pm

how can i automate integration of email registration? i have the sign me up for emails box set to default to yes. i also have a "sign me up" buton elsewhere on my site, but during checkout how can i automatically transfer this info to my 3rd party email server? i believe they will generate code to accept the info, i just don't know where or how to put it in.

thanks
gracefuli

Re: automating integration of email registration

Postby ShopSite Lauren » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:56 pm

If you are using Constant Contact for emails, then the integration is built in and email addresses will automatically be added when a customer checks that checkbox. If you are not using Contact Contact, you would need to create your own custom integration.

Manually Updating When Ready
If you only send out newsletters every month or every quarter, or some spaced out amount, you could download your new orders since your last email blast, and just download the checkbox for the email field, the email field, and the customer name. Then upload that database into your email client before each newsletter you send out to make sure your email addresses are up to date.

Custom Integration
The best way but more technical way would be to create a custom integration via the Order API or automatic XML download. Both of those would need to be specific to your store, and specific to the third party newsletter application you are using. If you are not a programmer, you would need to hire a developer/programmer to write the integration for you.

Work-A-Round With JavaScript
A pseudo work-a-round that you could do is add the sign up form that you have on your store pages to the thank you page. Then add JavaScript that checks to see if the customer checked the checkbox to be added, then automatically add their email to the sign up for and click 'submit' all with your own custom JavaScript. So on the thank you screen, the customer would get the same message as customers get when they sign up on your store pages, but they wouldn't need to do any work to get that message. For example, if a customer signs up on your website and gets a "thank you for subscribing to our newsletter" message, then on the thank you screen customers would also see a "thank you for subscribing to our newsletter" message. If you can provide me with your store URL so I can see your sign up form, and if that form has the email field on the page (doesn't take the customer to a new page to add their email), then I could help provide you with the custom JavaScript you can place on your thank you screen.
- ShopSite Lauren
Contact me for help with any of your
custom ShopSite template questions.
ShopSite Lauren

Postby gracefuli » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:42 pm

Sorry for the delay. we do have a sign up form on the home page. www.pfot.com
gracefuli

Postby ShopSite Lauren » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:02 pm

It looks like the "newsletter sign up" button on your home page links to an iframe popup which has the script and form for the newsletter signup. You will want to contact your newsletter provider and get just the HTML for a basic form. I can then modify that for an example for you.
- ShopSite Lauren
Contact me for help with any of your
custom ShopSite template questions.
ShopSite Lauren

Postby gracefuli » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:47 pm

ok- i'll be in touch. thanks
gracefuli

Return to Custom Template Questions