adding a video clip to a more information page

Questions and answers about ShopSite Custom Templates

adding a video clip to a more information page

Postby lneibauer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:17 am

We have created custom product template and I would like to add a video clip to one of the products. My plan is to host it on YouTube and it is basically a demonstration of how the product works. We think it will be less then 60 seconds. Anyway I see in the back end of shopsite there is a field for video but I am sure I do not have the correct tags in my template. I have not been able to find a ton of documentation on how to add video tags to the template. Does someone have the tags and or code I should be inserting? Does anyone have a site that I can see where/how it embeds the video?

I guess my ultimate goal would be to see a thumbnail of the video in the list of images and then when they click on it the video please in a window on the page. I first was this on Amazon and I thought it was kind of cool. Example below:
https://www.amazon.com/Nest-Protect-Carbon-Monoxide-Battery/dp/B00XV1RCRY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1504286015&sr=8-7&keywords=nest

Looking for code but also looking for suggestions on how to do something like this.

I am using Shopsite Pro 12 sp3 R2 on my demo site where I am playing with this.

thanks in advance
lneibauer

Re: adding a video clip to a more information page

Postby loren_d_c » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:47 am

The tags [-- PRODUCT.Video --] and [-- STORE.Video --] (a text label you can use a Video section) were added in 12 sp1 (see http://www.shopsite.com/templates/cookbook/tags-by-version.html). It is currently only used in the responsive-designed default themes (all themes added in ShopSite 12 and newer). Because the code to embed video can be different depending on the service, these tags are basically used to just dump the content of whatever you put in that product field in a div or span or or specific section of the page or whatever, wherever you want to place your videos in the product. A lot of the default themes style that as a tab within the More Info Page.

-Loren
loren_d_c

Return to Custom Template Questions