Product Reviews System questions

Questions and answers about ShopSite Custom Templates

Product Reviews System questions

Postby gentlemans01 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:53 am

Greetings!

We are long-time users of Shopsite (currently on SS 14 pro) and thinking about using the Product Reviews module. I've read through the documentation, but have a few questions I can't find answers to.

I know that Shopsite can send emails to my customers requesting reviews. However, automatically sending an email doesn't always work for our business. If a customer cancelled or revised an order after we imported it from Shopsite, I wouldn't want them to review something that they ended up not purchasing, or that's backordered and hasn't been shipped yet. It also would exclude any reviews by customers who order by phone.

Our current process (using a different review system) is to generate an email list each week which takes these things into account, then we sent via MailChimp and customers can access the relevant product for review. I'd like to see if we can replicate this with Shopsite's system.

I looked at the reviews url link that Shopsite generates by default, but the format is pretty cryptic:

//storepath/sb/reviews.cgi
?storeid=*mystoreid
&code=Explode+muchgobbledegook
&name=John%20Smith
&email=john@smith.com
&reviews_mode=3

I assume that the &code= parameter is what tells Shopsite which products John Smith purchased, and maybe what order it was from. Any way for me to generate this code externally so I can send John into the correct product review pages? Or if not, is there an alternate method of sending customers to the Shopsite review page URL which I can configure which product they'd be reviewing?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris
https://www.historicalemporium.com
gentlemans01

Re: Product Reviews System questions

Postby ShopSite David » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:12 pm

The link is encrypted by design. Perhaps you could just craft a link to the product's more info page and tell them to click on the reviews button to create a review. You would need to set the option so that anyone could submit a review but you could also set the config so that you would approve reviews.
-David H.
ShopSite, Inc.
http://www.shopsite.com
ShopSite David
Site Admin

Return to Custom Template Questions