A few questions on making a custom cart

Questions and answers about ShopSite Custom Templates

A few questions on making a custom cart

Postby Rgkopchak » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:56 pm

I made a custom shopping cart with ShopSite many years ago, and I'm looking to update it to be responsive.

I've been going through the documentation online, but I've got a few questions hopefully someone can assist with. I'm only looking to make changes to the cart. Everything else is custom, we just use the cart through SS.

1. The "themes" that are shown, is there a way to edit any of them? There is one "Stripped Down" that I particularly like, but would need to make some edits. I particularly like how it is a "one page" checkout process.
  2. How do the shopping cart templates found in "Commerce Setup > Order System > Layout Info" relate to those themes? Do the themes use them? Do they override the themes? It's not clear, and I don't get the relation between the two.
  3. Flipping through the many options on that "Layout" screen... is there a way to see what each looks like, other than applying it, and then going to my cart and seeing how it changed? Almost all of these do not appear to be responsive.
  4. On a somewhat related note, it looks like BB Cart is pretty solid, and could work (although not single checkout page) with some adjustments. I found how to make a copy of that, and make changes, but how can I use that new edited cart on the site? I don't see a way to select it as my cart anywhere, or reload it where it is a choice in "Layout"
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!
Rgkopchak

Re: A few questions on making a custom cart

Postby ShopSite Lauren » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:27 pm

A - In ShopSite Manager and Pro you can make copies of ShopSite theme template files and modify them how you want. You can do this by going to Merchandising > Custom Templates > Shopping Cart > Copy A ShopSite Template. After you copy the template, you can select your modified version under Commerce > Order System > Layout Info.

B - All shopping cart templates available for all themes and all custom cart templates are listed in the pull down menu under Commerce > Order System > Layout Info. It is not suggested to mix and match different themes' templates, but if you create a custom template or a modified version of a ShopSite template it will appear at the top of the list on this screen and you can select to use that instead of the built in ShopSite one.

C - There are a few layout screens but I assume you are referring to either the Preferences > Layout Settings screen with store-wide settings like logos and colors, or the Commerce > Order System > Layout Info screen with settings for the cart such as displaying product images in the cart, and using mini cart or not. With both screens, you would need to save changes in order to view the changes, and with both screens the changes will be live in the cart instantly. I'm not sure what settings you are referring to that don't appear to be responsive since most aren't 'fixed' settings. If you let me know which ones specifically you are curious about I can give you more information on how they will effect the cart before you test them.

D - If you have made changes to the BB-Cart.sst template (whether it is named that same name or not) you can select it under Commerce > Order System > Layout Info, in the cart template pull down menu. Your version will be at the very top of the menu.
- ShopSite Lauren
Contact me for help with any of your
custom ShopSite template questions.
ShopSite Lauren

Re: A few questions on making a custom cart

Postby Rgkopchak » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:45 am

I think it I got it sorted, thanks so much for the guidance!
Rgkopchak

Return to Custom Template Questions