Dark Uniform Theme Carousel problem

Questions and answers about ShopSite Custom Templates

Dark Uniform Theme Carousel problem

Postby alanrichardtex » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:34 pm

So our site has been using Shopsite for around 15 years or so. I just switched to the dark uniform theme and I was trying to get the carousel working, but when I add images to it, they show up super huge. I want to be able to make them only about 400px height. Preferably I would want to get the carousel to display on the top of the main text on my homepage. Can someone please advise me on how to make this work?
Thanks
alanrichardtex

Re: Dark Uniform Theme Carousel problem

Postby ShopSite Lauren » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:57 am

There isn't a built in way to limit the carousel size with that theme, it is designed to be the full width of the area provided. In order to limit that width, you would need to put the carousel inside a containing div. You mentioned that the instructions I gave before didn't work, but I am unable to view your demo store (always redirected to your live site), so I can't see if they code was implemented fully. I also see that your live site is using a custom page template (modified version of the element page template). Is your demo store using that same custom template? Since it is a custom template, I don't know what is different, but it could be that the custom template doesn't link to the Element-Carousel.sst include file that I had instructed you to change. If that's the case, you would need to modify the page template itself instead of the carousel include file.

All of that was a lot of explanation...let me see if I can help you troubleshoot without me being able to see your website. First I would check your page template. Are you using the same custom page template as your live site (elementpage.sst)? If you are, then go to Merchandising > Custom Templates > Page and Product Templates > elementpage.sst > Edit Template. Search (ctrl + f) for Element-Carousel.sst. This should be within an include tag and look like [-- INCLUDE Element-Carousel.sst PROCESS --] (exactly like that). If that is there, then the <div class="container"></div> additions to the Element-Carousel.sst file should have worked, so we will look somewhere else for the issue. If you cannot find that include file, then likely the carousel code is added directly into the page template itself. If that's the case, search in the code (ctrl + f) for <div id="carouselHome". Once you find that, just before that add <div class="container">. Then search for class="sr-only">Next</span></a>, locate the </div> following that code and add a second </div> after that. Then save changes and preview or publish (Utilities > Publish > Regenerate) the changes.

If your custom page template is linking to the Element-Carousel.sst include file, and you have added in the <div class="container">....</div> tags include that include file and you are still not seeing changes, can you go to your page with the full banner, view the page source, and send me the entire page source so that I can see what code is being output?
- ShopSite Lauren
Contact me for help with any of your
custom ShopSite template questions.
ShopSite Lauren

Return to Custom Template Questions