Tell A Friend Template

Questions and answers about ShopSite Custom Templates

Tell A Friend Template

Postby Blackmajik » Wed May 19, 2010 2:18 pm

Hello,

Looking for a way to use a dynamic URL for the tell a friend template. For example: the tell a friend link will be on every product page and I need it to send that product pages link in the email. All ive found so far is when you go into the tell a friend configuration a text box for you to manually enter a static URL. Anyone have experience with this or not how to do this?

~Kyle
Blackmajik

Postby Jim » Wed May 19, 2010 2:56 pm

Are you using a ShopSite custom template or are you trying to put this on non-ShopSite generated pages?

In a template you use the tag [-- TELLAFRIEND LinkText --] where LinkText is the text you want for the link, such as "Send to a Friend" or something similar. It needs to be in quotes when placed in the tag.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Blackmajik » Wed May 19, 2010 4:16 pm

We are using the customer template tell a friend. I'll try what you suggested out and let you know how it works out tomorrow. not enough time today to do it.

Thank you for the help,
~Kyle
Blackmajik

Postby Blackmajik » Thu May 20, 2010 1:41 pm

Let me do some screenshots and post code:

Here is a screen shot of the tell a friend configuration

the code it gives you at the bottom is this:
<a href="#" onClick="window.open('http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/cgi-sewingmachinesplus/sb/tellfriend.cgi?storeid=*20f9a1454d016d554df01e4e6b5c998cacf5&str=Product%20Link&from=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sewingmachinesplus.com%2Findex.php','tellfriend','width=560,height=560,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes, status=yes');return false;">Product Link</a>

The red text in the code is the link from the img i posted in the textbox "Link URL" The code above needs to be posted on every product page. This link should dynamically change to the products URL. Instead it just stays to whatever you link you type in that link URL textbox from the img i posted.

Also this feature was working fine until we upgrade last month to shopsite v10. Anyone have problems with this? or any ideas?

~Kyle
Blackmajik

Postby Blackmajik » Thu May 20, 2010 2:48 pm

Worked! i put [-- PRODUCT.MoreInfoURL --] inside of the Link URL text box and it is working fine!
Blackmajik

Return to Custom Template Questions