more info products page

Questions and answers about ShopSite Custom Templates

more info products page

Postby bkgca » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:26 pm

Hi.
using SS 10 sp2.

using 3Column-Product.sst for the template of the product.

I assumed any changes to this would effect the "More Info" page for the product.
But doesn't seem to.

For my SSL certs, I've made the header (before the </header>, have to add a script for the ssl certs) changes needed, so the ssl logo shows correctly in the page... made a custom 3Column.sst and select my custom in the Page layout.

So I did the same for the 3Column-Product.sst, and went into Preferences>More Info Page> and checked show custom headers and footers (since I have some custom header info in the Preference>Layout Setting , I want to show.
So when enabled, all my top custom stuff shows, as well as my footers.
But just seems the script I had to add to the custom 3Column-Product.sst isnt working.. as if that template doesn't effect the more info page of the product.

The page listing all the products using the custom 3Column.sst, works just fine, my ssl cert logo shows and works correctly.

Threw some erroneous text in the custom 3Column-Product.sst , and nothing.. again looking as if it doesn't effect the More Info page for the product.
I'm starting to guess the 3Column-Product.sst doesn't effect the More info page ???
Than where do I go to effect the changes (and throw the lines I need into the header ) for the more info page?

TIA
bkgca

Re: more info products page

Postby ShopSite Lauren » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:30 am

The 3Column-Product.sst template has a few different sections, a DEFINE PRODUCT section to define how the product is laid out on the category pages, a DEFINE SUBPRODUCT section to define how that product's subproducts appear, a DEFINE PRODUCT_CROSS_SELL section to define how that product's cross sell products (pro) appear, and a DEFINE MORE_INFO_PAGE section which defines how the product's more information page is setup. You will want to add your SSL logo code into the <head></head> section in your DEFINE MORE_INFO_PAGE section of your product template (its about half way down the template). Go into the 3Column-Product.sst template, then find the following section of code and add your code in here the red text is below.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>[-- IF PRODUCT.MoreInformationTitle --][-- PRODUCT.MoreInformationTitle --]</title>[-- ELSE --][-- PRODUCT.Name REMOVE_HTML --]</title>[-- END_IF --]

[-- IF PRODUCT.MoreInformationMetaKeywords --]<meta name="keywords" content="[-- PRODUCT.MoreInformationMetaKeywords --]">[-- END_IF --]

[-- IF PRODUCT.MoreInformationMetaDescription --]<meta name="description" content="[-- PRODUCT.MoreInformationMetaDescription --]">[-- END_IF --]
add your code here
[-- INCLUDE 3Column.css PROCESS --]
</head>

Last, you will need to regenerate your website so that ShopSite re-creates all of your product pages with the new code. Go to Utilities > Publish > Regenerate.
- ShopSite Lauren
Contact me for help with any of your
custom ShopSite template questions.
ShopSite Lauren

Postby bkgca » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:33 pm

Lauren, thank you for the reply...

1st thought was, ah , didn't realize I could have gotten the wrong header area...

I gave it a try.. here's what I did...

Went back took a look.
Turns out by stupid luck I got the right header area, but...
I had it one line too low, so moved it up..
It was below the "[-- INCLUDE 3Column.css PROCESS --]" (which is where it is on my custom page template, working , fyi, bad? ok? if it's working there on the page template?) , so moved it above as you suggested on the product template.
I already have the custom product template set for one product, went in and turned on / checked : show footer and header for more info pages.
Regnerated the site, and still the same results.. instead of seeing the logo, I just see "SSL" text that is also a hyperlink, past experience tells me that's cause the java script isn't working..

(frustrating, cause I have it working on the pages)

so you can make sure I got it in the right spot.... (I feel like I'm missing something basic here)..
here's a clip from the custom template...

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>[-- IF PRODUCT.MoreInformationTitle --][-- PRODUCT.MoreInformationTitle --]</title>[-- ELSE --][-- PRODUCT.Name REMOVE_HTML --]</title>[-- END_IF --]

[-- IF PRODUCT.MoreInformationMetaKeywords --]<meta name="keywords" content="[-- PRODUCT.MoreInformationMetaKeywords --]">[-- END_IF --]

[-- IF PRODUCT.MoreInformationMetaDescription --]<meta name="description" content="[-- PRODUCT.MoreInformationMetaDescription --]">[-- END_IF --]

<script language="JavaScript" src="https://secure.comodo.net/trustlogo/javascript/trustlogo.js" type="text/javascript">
</script>

[-- INCLUDE 3Column.css PROCESS --]

</head>

Really apperciate the help... Anything else to try ???
TIA !
bkgca

Postby ShopSite Lauren » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:49 pm

It shouldn't matter if its above or below the css file. Also, the header and footer checkboxes are for displaying the content you mentioned you entered under Preferences > Layout Settings, they won't inpact the head section on the page.

It sounds like you are doing everything correct as far as the template goes, my guess would be that it is an issue such as not using the modified template or not re-publishing the pages. What is the URL to one of the pages you are testing? Make sure that if it is now a custom product template, that the custom template is selected under Products > Edit Product Layout.
- ShopSite Lauren
ShopSite Lauren

Postby bkgca » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:09 pm

When I have the footer off, I don't see the "SSL" showing as a text link.

Just and fyi,,, I still do see the shop address info I have in the "Text B" area

The actual SSL cert code , I inserted into the Footer box in Preferences>Lay Out settings>
And there as well, is the "Text B" area box, where I inserted the shop info...

I did republish the page, and did regenerate the site many times before coming here for help.

Is there something that over rides the template selection in the product layout?
I just tried going to a totally different template selection in the product layout for one product, and nothing changed...???

I PMed you a link...

Thank you again, for the time and help...
bkgca

Postby ShopSite Lauren » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:36 pm

Ok, that makes more sense why you need to have the checkboxes to display the header and footer checked, because the code of where the SSL seal is being displayed is in the footer. Well, I took a look at your product page, and it does look like the footer code is displaying, but that the head code is not being displayed. The template that is says is being used is the 3Column-Product.sst. My guess is that your custom template is named something else and you have selected to use your custom template, but the page template you are using (the 3Column.sst template) forces products on that page to use the 3Column-Product.sst template (I hadn't realized this before). So my new suggestion is to go to Merchandising > Custom Templates > Page/Product, and make a copy of your copy (of the product template), and name it the exact same name as the original, 3Column-Product.sst. Then go to Utilities > Publish > Regenerate. This should fix the issue.
- ShopSite Lauren
ShopSite Lauren

Postby bkgca » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:57 pm

seems we both Found it at the same time...... ,
just been taking me a while to write this up for your review... tnx !!!

in the page template 3Column.sst , there's no "varible" for the product page..
3Column.sst just calls for.. "3Column-Product.sst"
seems to override, by not calling or looking for a value in the products' layout?

(I'm using a copied / renamed custom one.. "3Column-BBB.sst", cause I had already modified it at the start of the store for the seal java code in the header )
I edited the custom page template and changed from...

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="10" border="0" width="100%" class="[-- VAR.PageColumns --]">
[-- LOOP PRODUCTS VAR.PageColumns --]
<td class="pr [-- VAR.Alignment --]" width="[-- VAR.PageColumnWidth --]">[-- PRODUCT 3Column-Product.sst --]</td>
[-- END_LOOP PRODUCTS --]

to...
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="10" border="0" width="100%" class="[-- VAR.PageColumns --]">
<td class="pr [-- VAR.Alignment --]" width="[-- VAR.PageColumnWidth --]">[-- PRODUCT 3Column-Product-BBB.sst --]</td>

Where "3Column-Product-BBB.sst" is my custom product page, again just copied and renamed, and put the java code in the head template..

So that fixes it, I have my ssl seal working...
I tried to find a variable to use that would call up the entry in the product layout, instead of the actual file name.
But couldn't.. well found one, got an error..
Is there a varible ?
tnx
bkgca

Postby bkgca » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Ok, so from looking at some other page templates.. I think I figured out the variable...

in the page template, changed from..

<td class="pr [-- VAR.Alignment --]" width="[-- VAR.PageColumnWidth --]">[-- PRODUCT 3Column-Product-BBB.sst --]</td>

to...

<td class="pr [-- VAR.Alignment --]" width="[-- VAR.PageColumnWidth --]">[-- PRODUCT --]</td>

correct?

TIA !!
bkgca

Postby ShopSite Lauren » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:33 pm

Yup thats it. I am glad you got this issue figured out :).
- ShopSite Lauren
ShopSite Lauren

Postby bkgca » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:10 pm

ShopSite Lauren wrote:Yup thats it. I am glad you got this issue figured out :).

tnx for all the help, w/o it, I would still be stuck at 1st base wondering what I did wrong.. and if I hadnt had your input, I wouldnt have figured I need to look deeper...

If I didn't spot it, your findings would have gotten me there...
again, tnx a bunch..
bkgca

Return to Custom Template Questions