Real time inventory with Advanced Options

Questions and answers about ShopSite Custom Templates

Real time inventory with Advanced Options

Postby greg_ds » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:34 am

Our store - deershack.com - is using the PRODUCTINVENTORYACTUAL tag to display the available inventory. Working great.

Many of our products have sizes, so I want to use the Advanced Options in Ordering Options. I set this up for one SKU (including out of stock limit) and it also works great - the inventory for each SKU is tracked and the shopping cart limits the number of items the customer can order.

However, when I set up the Advanced Options, the PRODUCTINVENTORYACTUAL stopped working on the More Info page for that SKU.
I've scoured the tags documentation.
I downloaded the products database, but didn't find the right clue there.
Tried to find an answer in many other places too.
Since the Shopping Cart is accessing this value correctly, there is evidently a method to return the inventory level for each SKU option.

How can I retrieve the inventory for each SKU option in real time (when the More Info page is displayed)?

Thanks,
Greg
greg_ds

Re: Real time inventory with Advanced Options

Postby Jim » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:50 am

I don't believe there is a template tag to directly get the inventory of an order option item. If you enable advanced ordering options and turn on the Cascading menu option, only those options that have a quantity available will be listed in the pulldowns.
Jim
Site Admin

Re: Real time inventory with Advanced Options

Postby Jim » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:15 pm

After a little more research you can have the Order Option display the in stock quantity if the item is low in stock.
You configure it on Preferences > Inventory tracking it the fields Cascading Menus
Append Inventory status to More Info Page Ordering Options.
[ ]Append out of stock message to Order Option.
[ ]Append low stock message to Order Option.

You enter the text you want to display by the order option in the appropriate text field. You an add the actual quantity to the option by placing [qty] in the text. For example in the Low Stock field you could have "Order now only [qty] available." and the option would display with "Order now only 6 available." if the quantity on had for the option is 6.

So this doesn't use the [-- productinventoryactual ... --] but it will display the quantity for the options. There is a limitation that you must have at least two option fields (size, color) for this to work. If you only have one option the quantity will not currently display. The quantity will only display if it the quantity on had is below the Low stock level. We are working on a fix for this which will be available in our next major release.
Jim
Site Admin

Return to Custom Template Questions