Customizing the "Shopping Cart"

Questions and answers about ShopSite Custom Templates

Customizing the "Shopping Cart"

Postby nacd_webmaster » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:12 pm

OK... on to my next issue, the "Shopping Cart," and custom templates.

First, a little background. I "inherited" the Shopsite Pro instance I now manage (ver. 10 R 7.4). Thus, some things may not work as they should, and I'm doing my best to correct them. That said, our Shopsite instance, of course, has a customized shopping cart with our logo/look & feel, etc. And it looks similar to our product pages. However, I have come to realize that the shopping cart header / footer information is *not* taken from the standard header/footer used on the product pages (and configured via the "Store Preferences" panel).

Of course, I do see the "Shopping Cart" option in the "Merchandising-->Custom Templates" panel. However, our Shopsite instance does not seem to have a custom template saved in the back office site (it says there are none found), yet it does display properly when the store is accessed. I am not sure, then, how it found its way there, and the site I inherited has absolutely no source code for a shopping cart template.

Questions: 1) How is the HTML for the shopping cart rendered and what does it use for source code? Can that source, somehow, be edited in place?

2) Is there some way, other than uploading a template via the above, to customize the look of the shopping cart that I don't see?

3) Is there some way to "download" that source code from what exists on the current shopping cart to be able to edit/save it?

I suppose if these questions can't be answered successfully, I'll have to re-build it from scratch, but I'm hoping I don't have to do that. :(

Thanks so much.
nacd_webmaster

Re: Customizing the "Shopping Cart"

Postby Jim » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:17 pm

1) How is the HTML for the shopping cart rendered and what does it use for source code? Can that source, somehow, be edited in place?
The shopping cart is rendered from a shopping cart template that is specified on Commerce Setup > Order System > Layout. So you should be able to go there and see what template is being used. It is probably one of the ShopSite provided ones.

2) Is there some way, other than uploading a template via the above, to customize the look of the shopping cart that I don't see?
Commerce Setup > Order System > Shopping Cart > Text at the top of the Shopping Cart screen: and Text at the bottom of the Shopping Cart screen: can be used to create a look like what is on your store pages. Typically there would be a table opened in the Text at the top ...field and it is closed in the Text at the bottom... field. So the items that are in the cart are in side of a table that spans the whole cart content. Note that there are similar fields on the Commerce Setup > Order System > Checkout , Confirmation and Thank You screens that you would also need to edit. The Checkout, Confrmation and Thankyou screen info needs to use secure urls for any references to images, scripts etc or the browser may give a warning about insecure content on a secure page.

3) Is there some way to "download" that source code from what exists on the current shopping cart to be able to edit/save it?
You should be able to go to the screens I mentioned and copy the content and save it to your local machine. The template itself can be copied from Merchandising > Custom Templates > Shopping Cart. (if it is a ShopSite provided template you would use the Copy ShopSite template button to make a copy that you can modify or save. Note that there may be multiple include files, style sheets, etc that also need to be downloaded to get the complete template.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby nacd_webmaster » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:27 pm

Jim wrote:
1) How is the HTML for the shopping cart rendered and what does it use for source code? Can that source, somehow, be edited in place?
The shopping cart is rendered from a shopping cart template that is specified on Commerce Setup > Order System > Layout. So you should be able to go there and see what template is being used. It is probably one of the ShopSite provided ones.

As my sainted auntie would say, "If it were a snake, it would have bitten you." :D

Thanks so much. Good to go.
nacd_webmaster

Postby Jim » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:34 pm

As my sainted auntie would say, "If it were a snake, it would have bitten you." :D

I didn't know my mom was your aunt! ;-) Small world isn't it.
Jim
Site Admin

Return to Custom Template Questions