Video and site look different

Questions and answers about ShopSite Custom Templates

Video and site look different

Postby Kapitol » Wed May 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Hey all. I'm a learning to make my own template. The version of Shopsite we have is 10, running Manager.

This video tutorial has been really helpful with my understanding on how this all works. However none of my custom pages are showing up after creation under the Pages directory.
http://shopsite.com/tutorial/merchandising-customtemplates.htm

The name I chose was Soulbeads when I created a new custom page layout. It is not being listed. I also copied a file on the FTP, renamed it, uploaded it, it too is not being listed.

The video seems to be very clear on what to do but I am stuck because I cannot progress without being able to see my pages in the Pages view.

Can anyone suggest ideas to help shopsite see my custom page?
Kapitol

Re: Video and site look different

Postby Jim » Thu May 24, 2012 6:24 am

There are two separate features, Custom Pages and Custom templates, both on the Merchandising screen, Which are you using?

If you are using he Custom pages (which is a very old feature and only kept for compatibility with older versions of ShopSite) then you have to embed special code in the html page to pull in various product fields. These pages are then published to the store and you do not see them in the backoffice pages list.

If you are using the Custom Templates feature, you create templates for Pages, Product, shopping cart etc and those will all be listed in the appropriate section under Merchandising > Custom Templates. The templates will also be listed in the pulldown for selecting that specific type of template ( Pages > Edit Page Layout, Products > Edit Product Layout, etc .)

If you ftp'd the files to the server make sure that you set the ownership and permissions on the files so they are the same as the files already in the directory or ShopSite won't be able to access them.

PS most of the videos were made with the ShopSite Pro version and probably version 11 so some functionally may not be in your version 10 Manager store.
Jim
Site Admin

Return to Custom Template Questions