LeftLinks Color

Questions and answers about ShopSite Custom Templates

LeftLinks Color

Postby TexasProcess » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:06 am

Hi there,

We are trying to make the color of the LeftLinks bar different than the rest of the document. It's only a problem in the pages where products are shown (i.e. not homepage or pages with other pages are assigned.)

Note: We are not using "link" text, per se; we are using Assign Page to assign pages as the links. We don't want to use link text because it makes the page weight double from where it was before, and my boss would prefer we stay between 15 & 20 kb. (I did the whole page like that yesterday, only to find that it had gone from 20 kb to 40 kb).

ShopSite has an option to change the text color, but it applies to the whole page. Because we want white text in the leftlinks column, the text disappears on the right column, as it has a white background. I have included a link to the website below, as well as a specific page where you can view a page with products on it. Please also note that on said product pages we have only Your Account and Shopping Cart visible, simply because we don't like the color of the font and think it looks unprofessional.

Home: http://texasprocesstechnologies.com/store/
Ex Page: http://texasprocesstechnologies.com/store/page22.html

I know there must be some way to do this, but the code for the layout has variables, which refer to the text color change option I mentioned above, which applies to the whole page.

I tried making a copy of the code in a notepad document (this is from the header), and I know exactly the part of the code I need to change, I'm just not sure how to get at it. I've pasted it below:

#leftlinks a {
display: block;
text-align: left;
padding: 3px 10px;
margin: 0px;
text-decoration: none;
color: #333333;
}
(Obviously, I would simply change the color to #FFFFFF, I just can't get at it!)

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Erin
Texas Process Technologies
TexasProcess

Re: LeftLinks Color

Postby Jim » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:51 pm

Since you are using a modified template there is no way to know for sure what other changes you have made to what files are included. In the default CropCircles theme the styles on that page would be coming from CropCircles.css which is found in the Includes section of the Custom Templates. If you are have not modified the include files in your modified CropCircles page template then you can make a copy of the ShopSite include file CropCircles.css and make the changes there.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby TexasProcess » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:49 am

The only things that have been added to the template are a slideshow code and an analytics code. (They were copied per instructions I received from ShopSite before when our analytics code wasn't working.) The current template is called CropCircles2WOW on the homepage. I only played around on notepad just to see where I needed to change, so I haven't changed any files or anything.

I have already tried to copy the template and change things, but like I said, the way ShopSite is set up it has the program for layout settings change the text for the entire page, so I can't isolate the leftlinks bar.

Erin
TexasProcess

Postby TexasProcess » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:57 am

I AM SO SORRY! I misread your post. I didn't see the bit about Includes (which, of course, was the important part). Thank you so much, it looks like the problem will be resolved. Thank you. If I run into more problems I will post.
TexasProcess

Postby TexasProcess » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:56 am

Okay. I have made the change. However, I'm not sure how to apply the changes or tell the page to look at the new css. How do I go about doing that?

Thanks again,
Erin
TexasProcess

Postby Jim » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:32 am

on Merchandising > Custom Templates > Includes, select your modified template and use the Copy Include button to make a copy of your modified file giving it the name of the original ShopSite file that you modified.

This will cause it to override the ShopSite file of the same name so any place in the templates that that file was used your modified version will be used. If you find problems you can revert to the ShopSite version of the file by simply removing the file you modified.
Jim
Site Admin

Return to Custom Template Questions