Feature to Make Products Taxable for Store Pickups

Request and discuss enhancements to ShopSite

Feature to Make Products Taxable for Store Pickups

Postby OldSalt » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:43 pm

Hello,

Many stores still have a physical presence as well as an online store. Most products are still non-taxable for online purchases while products purchased at the physical store are taxed.

Apparently, there is no good way to make products taxable if the delivery method is "store pickup" in ShopSite.
http://support.shopsite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10190

It would make sense to me if there was a feature to allow for this condition.
OldSalt

Re: Feature to Make Products Taxable for Store Pickups

Postby Jim » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:05 pm

I have been with ShopSite for 15 1/2 years and this is the first time this has been brought up. The tax by zip option which I suggested in an email should work very well.

In most cases that we have heard of, tax must be charged if the product is delivered in the specific state or perhaps city no matter if it is picked up at the store or shipped within that state/city. What state are you in that this is not the case?
Jim
Site Admin

Postby OldSalt » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:09 pm

This store is a winery in PA. They also sell winemaking equipment, wine kits and fresh wine must.

Apparently, fresh wine must is taxed in PA when they are picked up at the store. It is not that way in MA where I make wine, it is considered a food item.

I created this post since you had replied in the referenced post: "The problem with doing this (Tax by Zip option) is their shipping address would then have that particular code for the zip value and if you did try to ship the product the shipping carrier wouldn't know where to send it."

I interpreted that as meaning if we assigned the tax to zip code 00000, it would work for this case, but if they ever ordered another product to be shipped in the future, the shipper wouldn't be able to ship the order. Is this correct?
OldSalt

Postby Jim » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:07 pm

If they are going to be picking up the product at the store could they also pickup other items at the store and would those products also be taxed?

Using the tax by zip method wouldn't prevent the shopper from making other orders that they want shipped, they would just put their normal zipcode in the field and they would be charged the tax for that zipcode, if the tax setting for that zipcode range is enabled.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby OldSalt » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:55 pm

Yes, I assume any other items to be picked up would also be taxed.

Thanks for helping me understand the Tax by Zip option.

Could you elaborate on what you meant by "The problem with doing this (Tax by Zip option) is their shipping address would then have that particular code for the zip value and if you did try to ship the product the shipping carrier wouldn't know where to send it."

That would help complete my understanding.

Thanks!
OldSalt

Postby Jim » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:58 pm

If they were only going to pickup one item in the store and wanted other items delivered the the zipcode in the Shipping address would have what ever value was entered on the shopping cart screen. Say the merchant told them to enter "PickUP" for the zip in the shopping cart, shipping carriers like UPS, USPS, FedEx would not know where the "PickUP" zip code was located so they wouldn't be able to calculate a shipping rate for the product. This wouldn't be a problem if the shopper could also pick up the other products in their order at the store.
Jim
Site Admin

Return to Enhancement Requests