Image Resizing

Request and discuss enhancements to ShopSite

Image Resizing

Postby hiamps » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:37 pm

I sure wish you could do something about image resizing. Most people do use a camera for their images and resizing is becoming a nightmare. I had to upgrade all my images on Ebay and Etsy as my images in my picture folder are too small. People do like high resolution and it can obviously simply be done thru software like most online places are doing. Even on facebook you have to use the original image but it does not blow the screen up. It is a normal looking picture with high resolution. Having to have 2 folders for all my pics is not the best option.....

Pete Davis
Swanscandles.com
hiamps

Re: Image Resizing

Postby Jim » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:13 pm

I'm not sure what you are asking for. Your store pages are using older templates which may not have been quite as image friendly. Have you tried using the responsive design templates that resize images based on the size of the browser window?

You are not limited to two folders for images, you can have as many subdirectories as you need under the media directory.

You can upload your full size image and use the ShopSite resize images option to create 3 resized versions of the image plus the original. Any place that an image is selected for example product graphic or moreinfo images (and a number of other fields) you can select which of the 4 size images (original, Medium / More Info, Small / Thumbnail, Extra Small / Cart) you want used in that location.

If you can explain more what you are wanting to do it would be helpful.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby hiamps » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:00 pm

Some images resizing works and others blow the whole page up and I am not sure why as I do the same to each image. Can you give me more info about the responsive design templates? I opened templates but don't know which are which. Can I change the template on my site without starting over?
hiamps

Postby Jim » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:26 pm

Make sure that you are using images with the proper extension such as filename.jpg not just filename, jpg images work best for the resizing algorithm used. png and gif images may also be used. jpeg, gif and png are the only types of images that are save to use on the web since browsers don't know how to handle other types. Do not use images that have transparency, the software may not be able to tell what the transparent color is and it could change the colors in the resized image.

You can see what theme are responsive on http://www.shopsite.com/templates/cookbook/builtintemplates.shtml each theme that is responsive has a blue banner that says Responsive. Depending on which version of ShopSite you have you may have all of the theme or just some of them. It says below the theme image what version of ShopSite it was first included in.

You can change to using a new theme by going to Preferences > Themes and selecting a different theme and then publishing using the Utilities > Publish function. NOTE changing the theme changes all templates used for the site, page, product, search, shopping cart, giftcertificate etc. It may not be easy to get back to your existing look if you change the theme. Make a backup of your site (database and settings files) before you make any major changes just to be sure. Changing themes won't wipe out pages, products etc but will change the look of pages. If in doubt get a demo store at http://www.shopsite.com/demo.html and use that for testing. You can download your pages and products from your live store and then upload them to the test store. You will probably want to also upload some of your images for those pages and products and any store logos or other images you use. There isn't an easy way to copy the navigation from one store to another so you might have to manually enter that in also.
Jim
Site Admin

Return to Enhancement Requests