How about Product name and Product Display Name?

Request and discuss enhancements to ShopSite

How about Product name and Product Display Name?

Postby zeus1337 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:04 pm

I have a very large catalog of video games to sell, well over a thousand unique items. This does not count video games that have a different "condition" or "contents" since I sell mostly old & out-of-print games. So, a new PS1 game that is still sealed is worth significantly more than the same PS1 game that is used.

Because of this, I want to list a parent item, say "Final Fantasy VII" and then have subproducts of that only referred to as "New" and "Used". Currently the only way to do this is as follows:

Create Final Fantasy VII product. The name for this, for sorting purposes, is "PS1 - Final Fantasy VII". Then create subproducts for the item and then output the name of the subproduct. However, if I wanted to output the text the way I want to, I would have to name the subproducts for "PS1 - Final Fantasy VII" as "Used" and "New". But what happens if I want to list another game with "Used" and "New" subproducts? Then I have to create another product with the exact same name.

This brings me to my request.

This is done for the page links on shopsite's interface. You can name the page for your reference, and then in another line you can define what other pages will display your page as. This is very helpful! Can this also be done for products? Could we name the product "PS1 - Final Fantasy VII Used" and then have the output be whatever is desired, say "Used"? To that degree, could I name the products "PS1 - Final Fantasy VII", "PS1 - Final Fantasy VII used", and "PS1 - Final Fantasy VII new" and then have them outputted as follows:

Final Fantasy VII
New $
Used $

Thank you for giving me a chance to bring this up here.
zeus1337

Postby BFChris » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:16 pm

You could do this by using a Custom Product Field for the condition.

Then, instead of outputting the product name when you loop through the Subproducts, output the Custom Product Field contents.
~~Barefoot Chris
--------------------------------
Barefoot Chris Web Design
www.barefootchris.net
--------------------------------
BFChris

Postby zeus1337 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:09 pm

So that's what the custom product fields are for :)

So, what I requested, you can pretty much do?
zeus1337

Postby zeus1337 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:30 pm

To minimize the number of listings that I would have to micromanage, should I only create only two products, and then make them subproducts of one another? But then only display the "parent" product on my item pages? Such as:

ITEM A:

"PS1 - Final Fantasy VII Used" = product name
"Used" = custom field #1
"Final Fantasy VII" = custom field #2

ITEM B:

"PS1 - Final Fantasy VII New" = product name
"New" = custom field #1

Define ITEM B to be a sub-product of item A. Then, can you display the following:

"Final Fantasy VII"
"Used" [item A price]
"New" [item B price]

Is that possible? I feel like I am making a mistake by using the custom field #2 to display an abbreviated item title.
zeus1337

Postby Jim » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:07 pm

See my first reply to this post
http://support.shopsite.com/forums/view ... highlight=

You need 3 products the main product, a subproduct for "New" and another subproduct for "Used".
Jim
Site Admin

Postby zeus1337 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:04 pm

That is exactly what I'm going for, thank you. I haven't completed or uploaded any templates yet because I wasn't sure how to save them. To that degree, what do I name the file extension and where do I upload them on my ftp?
zeus1337

Postby Jim » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:22 pm

The file extension doesn't matter and one is not required. It is easiest to just go to the backoffice of the store under Merchandising > Custom Templates > and then the appropriate section, and use the create new template option and paste your code into the template that is there.

I believe the template location for ftp is listed on the templates screen or under Preferences > Hosting services but it usually requires different permissions for ftp than what the webserver uses so you need to make sure the permissions get set properly after you ftp them.
Jim
Site Admin

Return to Enhancement Requests