More FedEx shipping options

Request and discuss enhancements to ShopSite

More FedEx shipping options

Postby ShopSilver » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:09 am

FedEx shipping choices in ShopSite don't allow "both" Home (residence) and Ground (business) delivery options to co-exist. We have to choose to offer our customers either one or the other. That's very limiting.

FedEx shipping choices in ShopSite also don't offer use of their International Ground service, which is also very limiting.
ShopSilver

Postby peteuga » Thu May 21, 2009 1:28 pm

I have the same problem and have found it to be very frustrating. I run a wholesale site (pillows shipped in large boxes) so most items are shipped to business address. However quite a bit of my customers are running their businesses out of their homes. I have the shipping set to business address but due the box size I am having to fork out a lot of extra money when the boxes go to home addresses. This should be ultra simple to add the feature why doesn't shopsite do it.

Do anyone know of a shopping cart that allows this.
peteuga

Postby ShopSilver » Thu May 21, 2009 6:43 pm

This may help. It did pretty much solve it for me:

> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 01:08:34 -0500, jnewman@silver100.com wrote:
>> We ship mainly to residences but sometimes to businesses. We sometimes ship to Canada. We use FedEx and the USPS.
>>
>> Since I can't seem to offer both FedEx Home (residence) and FedEx Ground (business), I've opted for Home.
>>
>> It seems that the choice for FedEx International Ground does not exist, regardless of whether I lean towards residential or business services. The lowest rate for a 1-lb package to Canada comes up at about $35.00, which is for FedEx International Economy. The FedEx International Ground rate would be under $12.00. Is there really nothing I can do about this at all?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jay Newman
>> President & CEO

> -----Original Message-----
> From: LexiConn Support [mailto:support@lexiconn.com]
> Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:21 AM
> To: Jay Newman
> Subject: [support #HLO-35031-374]: FedEx choices
>
> Hello,
>
> Note: FedEx is doing major maintenance tonight so rates may be sporadic or not working.
>
> If you select "FedEx Ground" instead of "FedEx Home Delivery" FedEx International Ground should be available. There is no way in ShopSite to have Home Delivery domestically and Int'l Ground at the same time. You may want to suggest this as an enhancement for a future version of ShopSite:
> http://support.shopsite.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=9
>
> USPS would be your only other option for a lower cost ground to Canada if you need to use Home Delivery. Residential vs. Commercial does not matter with regards to Canada shipments.
>
> - LexiConn Support
>

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 01:48:46 -0500, jnewman@silver100.com wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> FedEx reports their maintenance was to begin at 10:00PM ET. The rates I referred to were displayed hours before that.
>
> I don't see FedEx International Ground as an option at all. And I tried changing from Home to Ground for domestic but it did not make International Ground become a choice -- it still doesn't seem to exist. I don't understand what you meant in saying "There is no way in ShopSite to have Home Delivery domestically and Int'l Ground at the same time." There is no International Ground at all under any circumstances as far as I can tell. Unless I'm missing something.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jay
>

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2009 9:06 AM
To: Jay Newman
Subject: [support #HLO-35031-374]: FedEx choices

Jay,

I set your FedEx shipping option to "FedEx Ground" instead of "Home Delivery" in the backoffice, but left on the "Residential Delivery" option.

If you put something in your cart now, choose Canada, and enter the zipcode "B0S 1H0", you'll see a FedEx Ground rate returned now for Canada.

Rob

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 01:57:37 -0500, jnewman@silver100.com wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Those settings seem best for us in that they result in the highest rates for all scenarios (thus protecting me from added "residential" charges), while making Ground to Canada available.
>
> I've attached a detailed spreadsheet with the various settings and rates, just FYI in case it helps you or other clients of yours.
>
> It seems the choices you made result in the highest possible rates for US Ground to a residence (higher than what "Home Delivery" would be) since, I presume, it's being treated as "Commercial Ground" but then they add an "extra residential delivery fee" onto it, exceeding what the Home Delivery fee would be.
>
> This is not the ideal scenario, since I'm now charging my customers more than I need to be for residential Ground, our most common form of shipment. It's also not ideal for us since this makes more people opt for USPS, which is less money in most cases (except larger shipments, which is rare for us), and we do not prefer to ship USPS. We prefer to ship FedEx Ground.
>
> Actually, maybe this is the ideal scenario after all. My FedEx account rep initially recommended that I always choose Ground and NOT specify "residence," so the administration people have to "catch it" and add the fee. If I'm right that the fee comes to this higher amount when I select Ground but they catch it and add a "residential delivery fee" to it, then this is the way to go. But I wonder... come to think of it, maybe my choosing Ground and never specifying "residential" actually costs me money because the "Ground plus residence fee" amount actually is higher than the "Home Delivery" fee? I wonder. I'm very confused, though, since going to the FedEx website doesn't seem to have a "Ground plus extra fee for residential delivery" scenario. If I put in "residence" the only choice it comes up with is Home Delivery. I suppose they have a discussion somewhere about adding a "residential" fee to a Ground shipment (vs Home Delivery), but I'm past the point where it's worth my!
time digging further at this time.
>
> All things considered, this current scenario isn't so bad.
>
> It would be nice, though, if we could add a fixed amount to all USPS shipments without also adding it to FedEx shipments, but I don't see any way to do that. If there is, please let me know.
>
> And please let me know if you have any further insights, too.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Jay
>
>
>

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 10:39 AM
To: Jay Newman
Subject: [support #HLO-35031-374]: FedEx choices

Jay,

Glad to hear it will work for you. Unfortunately, you cannot add an extra fee to just USPS rates.

Rob
ShopSilver

Return to Enhancement Requests