Behavior of BACK button when viewing More Info pages

Request and discuss enhancements to ShopSite

Behavior of BACK button when viewing More Info pages

Postby jsherk » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:58 am

Whenever you view the More Info Pages of a product, there is a BACK button that appears, but this link always takes you back the the first page that the product was assigned too.

If you have a product assigned to more than 1 page it will always go back to the same page instead of the page you came from.

Example:
Product MyAudio CD is added to Page AudioCDs and then also added to Page AllAudio.

When you view More Info for MyAudio CD and hit the back button it will always go back to the AudioCDs Page even if you initially clicked on it from the AllAudio Page.

This can be very confusing for some customers.

Thanks
jsherk

Postby BFChris » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:00 am

What "Back" button are you referring to? The one in your web browser? The "Continue Shopping" button in the shopping cart, or a "Back" button on the MoreInfo page itself?
~~Barefoot Chris
--------------------------------
Barefoot Chris Web Design
www.barefootchris.net
BFChris

Postby jsherk » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:05 am

The back button on the More Info page itself.
jsherk

Postby BFChris » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:13 am

You can modify your template so that the link for the Back button is a Javascript link to go back one page:
Code: Select all
javascript:history.back(1)

instead of the default link from Shopsite (which I believe is the first page the product is assigned to).
~~Barefoot Chris
Barefoot Chris Web Design
www.barefootchris.net
BFChris

Postby jsherk » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:27 am

ok I'll give that a try, but my Feature Request still stands because it should be do-able in html somehow as well!

Thanks
jsherk

Postby jsherk » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:54 pm

Here is another solution for those using PHP that uses the HTTP_REFERER variable...

I have changed all my file extensions for Pages and Products to .php from .html since that is my prefered language. I am modifying the Clean theme, so this would be done in the template/includes/Clean-MoreInfoPage.sst file.

Change this line:
<td class="pagelink"><a href="[-- VAR.FileName --]" class="pagelink">Back</a></td>

To this:
<td class="pagelink"><a href="<?php echo $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']; ?>" class="pagelink">Back</a></td>
jsherk

Return to Enhancement Requests