fabric, decimals or option menu

Request and discuss enhancements to ShopSite

fabric, decimals or option menu

Postby theqc » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:23 pm

I sell fabric and I am not completely happy with the way I have to do it...
I have a few topics if you can help me...

Are you upgrading your system so you can have decimals entered anytime soon?

Right now I am using the order anywhere linker and showing the option menu text on my pages you can view here...
http://www.thequiltingcupboard.com/Fabr ... atiks.html

People are getting confused thinking they can only order upto 1 yard (even though I explain it and there is a quantity box)
And when I have to change yardage amounts, I have to do it in the system and my pages in my seperate program; alot of extra work.

And when they want 1 1/2 yards they have to either choose 1 yard then GO BACK and choose another 1/2 yard OR enter quantity 3 and choose 1/2 yard. It is confusing and probably a turn off to order.
I can't have one long list of every option, it would be a mile long with all the whole and fraction combonations there could be.

And I have the prices and I would rather have the price just in the main price box when I add new products. It seems to be easier to put on sale (with having to change the price and re-paste a new HTML on my pages)

So I have tried a lot of different ways to make this easier.

I thought i can have them only choose their yardage choices in the shopping cart so it is no extra work when i change the amounts in the option menu, (i believe that is correct)

And I am trying new text for option menu...

whole;n
none
1 yard;*1
2;*2
3;*3
4;*4
5;*5
6;*6
7;*7
8;*8
9;*9
10;*10
11;*11
12;*12
13;*13
14;*14
15;*15

fraction;n
none
fat quarter;-6.30
1/8 yard;*.125
1/4;*.25
1/3;*.334
3/8;*.375
1/2;*.5
5/8;*.625
2/3;*.667
3/4;*.75
7/8;*.875

You can sample this way at the very bottom right corner of this page...
http://www.thequiltingcupboard.com/Fabr ... /sale.html

This way they have ALL the options, like they are used to when purchasing fabric and two separate columns, one for whole and fractions of yardage.
But the multiplying is not working when they choose an option from each column. Plus I have the fat quarter option, which seems to be working (this is not a decimal of yardage, it has to have it's own price) so am I doing that correct?

Can you please tell me how i would need to text this to make it work?
Sorry it got a little long, I hope i explained thoroughly my troubles.

I have tried so many options I need some hints...
Thanks!
theqc

Postby BFChris » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:34 pm

You could probably "cheat" this using a Variable Price product and using Javascript to feed the price into the form after doing the math on the amount they entered.

However, most computer programs (Javascript, PHP, etc) have difficulty dealing with fractions, so you'd need your customers to enter their amounts in decimals.

UPDATE: I wrote a script to do this in general....next step is to tweak it into Shopsite product template format.
~~Barefoot Chris
--------------------------------
Barefoot Chris Web Design
www.barefootchris.net
--------------------------------
BFChris

Return to Enhancement Requests