Bulk delete of unused images

Request and discuss enhancements to ShopSite

Bulk delete of unused images

Postby ctutt » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:00 pm

I have around 7400 product images as of today and will be adding another 700 - 800 soon. My image folder contains approximately 200 unused product images from discontinued products. I would like a way to quickly identify unused images and delete them. So far I have not discovered a way to do that. If that is not a present capability, could you please add it to the wish list for product enhancements.

Thanks,

Charles Tutt
ctutt

Re: Bulk delete of unused images

Postby Jim » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:14 pm

There is no bulk delete for unused images. The reason for this is that your ShopSite interface does not know which images you are using in ways other than for page, product or moreinfo images. You might have an image link in a product description or a page text field. You may have pages created outside of ShopSite that are using images in the media folder. So there is no way we could safely delete large blocks of images automatically.

In the current version of ShopSite (10sp2 r2) it will ask if you want to also delete any Product and MoreInfo page images for that product when you delete the product. So if you don't have that functionality in your version of ShopSite you may want to consider updating to it. It won't help with your current situation but would help minimize the issue going forward.
Jim
Site Admin

Return to Enhancement Requests