Using the search feature on non-shopsite pages

General ShopSite user discussion

Using the search feature on non-shopsite pages

Postby rib » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:11 pm

Can I use the search feature on pages that are not generated by shopsite?
For example: www.cmihealthcare.com
I used the "order anywhere" feature to connect the Add To Cart buttons to the shopping cart. All of the pages are created in GoLive.
Can I get the search feature to search for names and numbers on those pages, or do they have to be pages generated by shopsite?
rib

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:33 pm

If you set the "Search Destination:" on the Edit Product Info screen to a URL the search results will contain a link to that page for the product.
Jim
Site Admin

Manager

Postby rib » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:42 pm

I see that option in the Pro Version but not in the Manager version.
Is that right?
It's not available in the Manager version of Shopsite?
rib

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:46 pm

That is correct it is a Pro level feature to specify where the search results go. In a manager store it always goes to the ShopSite generated page where the product is displayed. So I guess it won't work for stores that are using order anywhere buttons on custom pages.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby rib » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:40 am

Thanks Jim.
rib

Postby loren_d_c » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:54 am

There are still ways to make this work with Manager via some custom template work.

You could have at least one ShopSite-generated pages with all products in the store assigned to that page so that they will be indexed for the search, and create a blank page template to use for the 'Link Template Override' search setting so that the links to that ShopSite-generated page does not display on the search results screen. And the shoppers can just order the products from the search results, or if you wanted to link the products to your own pages that you have them on, you could put that URL in one of the Extra Product Fields (assuming you have ShopSite Manager v10, since these weren't added to Manager until v10) and display that URL in a link in the search results via a custom product template.

Make sure you have both the 'Product Search Field' and 'Index' checkbox options in the ShopSite-generated page's settings so that the products on it will be indexed, and you can also look at the source of the ShopSite-generated page once it has been Published and copy the HTML of the search form from it and put it on your own pages.

-Loren

-Loren
loren_d_c

Postby rib » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:10 am

Thanks Loren,
I will dig into that and see if I can get something to work out.

Ross
rib

Return to User Forum