UPS street level address validation

Request and discuss enhancements to ShopSite

UPS street level address validation

Postby taosherb » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:40 pm

We would really like to see UPS street level address validation. It continually cost us $ when addresses are not validated.
taosherb

Re: UPS street level address validation

Postby jnarayan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:33 am

I suggest you take a look at Ordoro (www.ordoro.com). Our web-based order management system comes with UPS address validation and label printing features. I know it can hurt a lot because of bad addresses. I have spoken to customers who were previously losing up to $1500 during their peak season because of wrong addresses. Address validation can be a huge cost saver.
Jagath Narayan
Ordoro : Web based order management for Shopsite merchants
www.ordoro.com
jnarayan

Postby timbaman » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:16 pm

For US addresses, http://www.serviceobjects.com/products/address/address-validation-us works well for us. Yea it might cost you extra but the returns are worth it if you do the math.

Hope that helps :mrgreen:
timbaman

Postby jwnacnud » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:50 am

We would really like to see UPS street level address validation. It continually cost us $ when addresses are not validated.

Address verification is a big deal because the cost of returns and undelivered mail is not just the cost of postage. It's much higher than that. It is lost revenues if you are sending out invoices. It is lost revenues from unhappy customers who may have typed their address in "incorrectly". At that point, blaming them for getting their address wrong is not an option. As a merchant, you just want to take care of your customer. With address verification, you can either do it at the point of entry (right when they enter their address) or after the fact with a List Scrubbing service. There are quite a few address verification services online. Some offer just the list scrubbing, others offer an address verification API for live address verification or both.

The USPS offers free access but it is somewhat limited in the data that it returns. It doesn't return the DPV (Delivery Point Verification) or perform CASS certification.

UPS and FEDEX both offer a free service as well but they require that you the service only be used for preparing shipments on their network.

So, if you need live address verification, you'll want an API. If you need batch processing, you'll want list scrubbing services. Shop around and see which company is going to offer you the best service for the price.

I work for an address verification company called SmartyStreets. (http://www.smartystreets.com)
jwnacnud

Return to Enhancement Requests