warning before inactive log out

Request and discuss enhancements to ShopSite

warning before inactive log out

Postby chestercreek » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:55 pm

It would be nice to have a warning pop up before your session in shopsite times out. The PCI setting is 15 minutes and normally that is fine (and I want to stay PCI compliant) but sometimes you get to working on something and time gets away from you. You go to save and all of your work is lost. For example, I uploaded a large number of images and was editing the alternate text for all of them at once. It took about half an hour and when I got to the end and tried to save, I was logged out. This was not idle time, I was entering information the entire time. Grrrr. Frustrating. There are many sites that will give you a warning before logging you out. Please give this serious consideration.

Thanks!
chestercreek

Re: warning before inactive log out

Postby Jim » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:15 am

There isn't a daemon running to see if the time is about to expire so I don't think it would be possible to do the prompting. Each time a backoffice cgi loads it just check the cookie to see when the last time it was updated if it has been longer than the timeout limit it forces a new login. So there isn't a process that could give a warning that the time is about to expire.

When I have this problem I have been able to login again and then use the browser back button several times to get back to the screen I was working on. The data is usually still on the screen so I continue with any additional changes and then click the save changes button again and the data is saved.
Jim
Site Admin

Re: warning before inactive log out

Postby chestercreek » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:11 pm

Thanks Jim. I'll give this a try!
chestercreek

Return to Enhancement Requests