GDPR is coming! Help with opt-in email box please

General ShopSite user discussion

GDPR is coming! Help with opt-in email box please

Postby dgray » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:03 am

Everyone here is no doubt aware that the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will start being enforced on May 25 2018 and affects all sellers worldwide who make any sales into the EU.

A pre-checked opt-in for marketing purposes is no longer permissible from this date if the customer is in the EU, with potential fines of up to €20 million or 4% of global turnover for infringements of customer consent regulations.

I have a pre-checked email opt-in on my checkout page, using html and javascript in the "HTML- Before the Finalize Button" section.

I was going to change this so that the box defaults to unchecked if the ss_country javascript variable is an EU country. However, the documentation says ss_country is only available in the Thank You page, which is too late. I know that my shopping cart page includes a country and zip field, so I'm wondering why the ss_country isn't available for the checkout page if the country is already supplied on the shopping cart page.

Can the country be determined some way in the checkout page?

BTW, I'm not using the built-in "Add me to your E-mailing list" as I like to put up an informational message when someone unchecks my opt-in box.
dgray

Re: GDPR is coming! Help with opt-in email box please

Postby loren_d_c » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:44 am

JavaScript should have access to all of the form fields on the Checkout page, so try checking the document.billing.elements['Country'].value.

-Loren
loren_d_c

Postby dgray » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:29 pm

Thanks Loren, I'll try that.
dgray

Postby Daisymartin » Thu May 17, 2018 5:13 am

Can you please tell me the effect of GDPR.
Residential Care Home in East Sussex | Care home for elders | Care Home in Eastbourne | Care Home in Hasting
Daisymartin

Postby dgray » Thu May 17, 2018 11:54 am

You might like to join the following facebook group which has a wealth of info and help for small business owners on GDPR.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/euvataction/permalink/848431012009068/

You have probably noticed you've been receiving a ton of mail starting "We have recently updated our privacy policy..." That's GDPR!

Basically it affects anyone that collects or stores personal information about EU citizens. Such as their name, email, address, ip address. There's a lot to it and everyone that stores data like that has to get involved.
dgray

Postby Stifiejohn » Thu May 17, 2018 11:05 pm

GDPR is for google ads or for SEO?
Stifiejohn

Postby dgray » Fri May 18, 2018 10:31 am

Google ads, potentially yes, if you are collecting personal data for personalized ads you'll need to get consent. The definition of what constitutes personal data is now very broad, including name, email address, even ip address.

Any email lists obtained without active consent or legal basis will have to be deleted after May 25.
dgray

Return to User Forum