Supreme Court Sales Tax Ruling

General ShopSite user discussion

Supreme Court Sales Tax Ruling

Postby MgmtSpec » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:15 pm

Hello,

How will we handle collecting sales tax per supreme court ruling? I know we can set % by state but that won't cover the 3,500 plus local tax zones and I'm sure states will create new internet tax rates.
MgmtSpec

Re: Supreme Court Sales Tax Ruling

Postby koryb1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:34 am

Yes I am very anxious about this issue as well. Not only collecting the sales tax, but an integrated service to pay them out to the various tax jurisdictions is desperately needed as well.

The severity of this ruling is just only beginning to be realized. We all have a massive problem on our hands. Hopefully we can all share ideas to work through it.
koryb1

Postby koryb1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:42 am

I guess I didn't realize that this may be exactly why ShopSite added Taxjar as a new integration into Version 14? Is that correct?

Can anyone using Taxjar comment on how well it works and confirm if in fact this is where I need to turn to handle the impact of the Supreme Court's ruling?

Thanks in advance!
koryb1

Postby loren_d_c » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:25 am

AvaTax and TaxJar are both services that handle this kind of stuff. TaxJar integration was added in v14 to give merchants an additional tax service option. Not only can they generate the correct tax rates for all the various tax jurisdictions, but I think they can also help with the reporting and payment of the taxes to the various states, too.

This ruling sucks for small ecommerce merchants, but the big box stores and huge ecommerce players like Amazon love it because they already collect taxes for all these places and already have the mechanisms in place.

-Loren
loren_d_c

Postby koryb1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:49 am

Thank you Loren. I wasn't aware that AvaTax was already built in as well. I will look in to both options.

In the meantime, does anyone have first-hand experience with AvaTax or TaxJar that they can share? Any pro/cons or differences?

Much appreciated!
koryb1

Postby MgmtSpec » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:02 pm

Looks like the pricing is not bad. I had a client look at AvaTax some years ago and at that time my client thought it was way too expensive. I won't quote the number here in case they were wrong but seems to me it was significantly more expensive. Appreciate feedback from anyone using either.
MgmtSpec

Postby FredW » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:45 am

Does anybody the time frame on when this ruling needs to be implemented?
FredW

Postby peteuga » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:19 am

I am currently using TaxJar. TaxJar itself works well with Amazon but not good with Shopsite yet. There are a few bugs, I would recommend waiting a few months until they can get worked out before activating the servicef with shopsite. Taxjar does offer filing but it is $20 per state.
peteuga

Return to User Forum