Assistance Setting up a Coupon with Free Item with Purchase

General ShopSite user discussion

Assistance Setting up a Coupon with Free Item with Purchase

Postby Rgkopchak » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:13 am

I am trying to set up a sale, where the terms are "Receive a Free X (up to $65 in value) when you spend $100".

I have created the coupon. Set the discount to $65. Made the qualifying Shopping Cart total be $165. Made the coupon valid for "specific products" and added all the SKUs that qualify as the free item.

The problem I am running into, is if I were to for example add three of the qualifying item to my cart (total $195) and then apply the coupon, it knocks off $195, making everything free. Obviously, not what I want!

If I select "Allow only 1 product per redeemed coupon", this stops everything being free, but only gives you one free item. The problem with this is if someone is spending $200, I want to give them 2 free items.

Not sure if this makes things a bit more difficult, but SOME qualifying items cost more than $65. In this case (Say a qualifying item that costs $80) you would pay the $15 to "upgrade".

Is there a way to accomplish my goal that I am missing? Hope this is clear, and thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Rgkopchak

Re: Assistance Setting up a Coupon with Free Item with Purch

Postby gourmetdelights » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:13 pm

I think you need to stay with the "allow only 1 product" and people can either

1. shop again to get a 2nd item.

OR

2. you can just give them a 2nd item. So you see they spent $200, got their free item automatically. You add another free item to their box when you ship it out.
http://gourmet-delights.com
Exceptional Foods at Realistic Prices
We ship worldwide
FREE shipping to all US States, Territories, AP/AE
gourmetdelights

Postby Rgkopchak » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:39 am

Unfortunate that there isn't a way to set this up. Hopefully, I can get an official response from ShopSite, but I have a feeling you are correct.
Rgkopchak

Postby ShopSite David » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:01 am

From your description, you are not going to be able to make coupons work that way. You may want to look at the rewards feature. It is not based on dollar volume but on products and might meet your needs. It would basically be, get a free product (from this group of products) if you by x amount of these products.
-David H.
ShopSite, Inc.
http://www.shopsite.com
ShopSite David
Site Admin

Postby Rgkopchak » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:00 pm

It is too bad it didn't quite work out. It was very close. Basically, if anyone else views this in the future, here is what we did:

We set up three coupons, since we wanted people to be able to take advantage of the offer up to three times.

1STFREEITEM, 2NDFREEITEM, and 3RDFREEITEM.

Since the amount needed to get an item free was $100, and the value of the free items was generally $65, we set the minimum cart value to $150, $300, and $450. Each coupon was worth $65.

This worked well except for one instance. If there was ANY "free item" in the cart, it would apply the coupon if you met the minimum cart value.

So, for example, if you had $500 worth of items in your cart, but only included one "free" item, it would allow you to add the coupon three times. (thus reducing your cart by far more than would be allowed). We only had one or two people game the system, and we just called them and made adjustments as needed.

Really, we need a coupon setting to "only allow one product to apply to one coupon". That would have solved the problem. It checks for an item before it lets the coupon apply... it just needs to check for multiple items before applying multiple coupons.
Rgkopchak

Return to User Forum