Question on Editorial Theme

General ShopSite user discussion

Question on Editorial Theme

Postby FredW » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:07 am

I have searched and searched both the ShopSite help pages and this forum and either I'm search challenged or the information I am looking for is not online. We are testing changing our theme from Familiar (old) to Editorial (newest). The newer versions of ShopSite has two fields in the layout setting: Text A and Text B that the documentation says is specific to the template or theme uses.

(BTW, we're running ShopSite® Pro 14.0 sp2 on Lexiconn servers) [yes, they are amazing folks]

My testing shows the Text A field displays as a banner type message at the very top of all pages and the user can close it. When it is closed, the banner message goes away for the all future pages visited until the user restarts the browser (or opens a new tab). But there may be other ways to get the banner to show again. My question is what triggers the banner Text A field to reappear after it was closed?

A more general question is about documentation on theme(s). Is there a place that shows what template files are used for the various Themes. Is there more detail documentation on how the theme works on the various devices? I can dig out some of the answers by looking at the template code. But another goal is to not have to open a template or add custom code. We are trying to use off-the-shelf template functions.

Thanks in advance,
Fred
FredW

Re: Question on Editorial Theme

Postby ShopSite Lauren » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:07 pm

The information about the text a banner field is probably not listed anywhere. It uses the browser's Session Storage to 'remember' that a visitor has closed the banner. Session storage is similar to cookies, in that the information is stored in the end-users browser. Session storage is cleared after a browser 'session'.

The Editorial theme uses the "Element" template files (all themes added in v14 sp1 use these template files). A list of template files and what they are used for can be found here:
https://www.shopsite.com/templates/cookbook/builtintemplates-element.html
- ShopSite Lauren
Contact me for help with any of your
custom ShopSite template questions.
ShopSite Lauren

Postby FredW » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:22 am

Thank you Lauren. As always, your help and professionalism is truly appreciated. As a follow up question, when it comes to the best responsive theme for an eCommerce site, (best means less bugs), do you have a favorite?
FredW

Postby ShopSite Lauren » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:48 pm

Always the newest. The templates, coding, etc, is always evolving and progressing. So with new releases comes better and better templates :).
- ShopSite Lauren
Contact me for help with any of your
custom ShopSite template questions.
ShopSite Lauren

Return to User Forum