404 error shared hosting

General ShopSite user discussion

404 error shared hosting

Postby hiamps » Fri May 15, 2009 9:30 am

When we first set up shopsite we made a bunch of pages that shopsite named with a number. After a bit we realized we could name our pages ourselves. Well it seems the pages that were numbered still show up as errors in search engines, they didn't seem to realize that the page name changed. Now google says I have a bunch of 404 errors but with shared hosting I can't do a simple htaccess file to stop it. Should I take the time to create my own 404 page and rename it to each of the old page numbered names or will they eventually disappear or does it really even matter? The page I would make would be like a page map with links thruout my site. I figure I have about 35 pages to do.
hiamps

Postby loren_d_c » Fri May 15, 2009 1:34 pm

Why can't you make a .htaccess file with shared hosting? Most hosts I know of allow this.

-Loren
loren_d_c

Postby hiamps » Fri May 15, 2009 4:47 pm

loren_d_c wrote:Why can't you make a .htaccess file with shared hosting? Most hosts I know of allow this.

-Loren

Not sure, I made the file but it doesn't work and the tech guy at hostcentric was more lost than I am. If you think it should work I will keep trying. I made the file and put it in my main store file with my index page, and added a link to the page I created in the file, should I put it in my Bin Folder?
This is what I put in .htaccess...ErrorDocument 404 /notfound.html
and I made the page notfound.html
Thanks for any help you can give.
Pete
hiamps

Postby loren_d_c » Mon May 18, 2009 9:29 am

It probably wouldn't work if your site's HTML is hosted on a Microsoft Windows Server. Windows Server's IIS webservers don't normally use .htaccess files, that is a UNIX/Linux webserver thing.

-Loren
loren_d_c

Postby hiamps » Tue May 19, 2009 8:57 am

loren_d_c wrote:It probably wouldn't work if your site's HTML is hosted on a Microsoft Windows Server. Windows Server's IIS webservers don't normally use .htaccess files, that is a UNIX/Linux webserver thing.

-Loren

I want to remove a few more pages today, does renaming them to my link page seem like a good idea? I was thinking about making all the pages I no longer have be this page....http://www.swanscandles.com/notfound.html
hiamps

Return to User Forum